Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slings---A Question for Combat Vets.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Slings---A Question for Combat Vets.

I am working on my third or fourth sling rebirth. I started with a USGI sling, scrapped it for a single point sling, scrapped that immediately, altered the attachment points and release system of the USGI but kept the old adjustment method. This is a tied loop anchored by a tri-glide. Now, I am making more alterations in the attachment method and thinking about a double webbing system with an Alice buckle quick adjustment -----you know---like the tacticool guys sell.

The problem is a nagging little voice keeps telling me "No". The little voice says it is too complicated for you. The little voice says you are not a Tier 1 Operator like they are. The little voice says what you need is a KISS sling. The voice says in a real emergency you want simple, simple, simple options. But am I wrong?

So, this brings me to you. When you were in combat, was your first thought to adjust your sling? Let's set aside inside a vehicle with a single point sling. I am most interested in what happens while you are on foot, on patrol and take incoming fire. Where are you with the sling at that point? I am especially interested in Vietnam veterans and their experiences in an ambush.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ran a blue force gear sling in Afghanistan, if I really needed to handle my weapon I usually just had it behind my neck, kept the sling free and clear from snagging on bullshit. Only time I really slung slung my weapon was when on patrols or guard.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FireandFlames View Post
    Ran a blue force gear sling in Afghanistan, if I really needed to handle my weapon I usually just had it behind my neck, kept the sling free and clear from snagging on bullshit. Only time I really slung slung my weapon was when on patrols or guard.
    Same here. Blue Force Gear in my last couple deployments. Used a scavenged can’t-remember-brand three point as a two point sling prior to that. Came from a PX at Benning. Worked well, just narrow.

Blue Force Gear is the only sling I would purchase today. Quick, postive adjustment. No padding. Same, wider than USGI width the whole length.

Its usually around my neck when actually shooting, but I can quickly adjust it for other carry techniques (like for chow, a long foot movement, etc). Never adjusted it in an emergency, like react to contact, just pulled one arm out of it, if that makes sense.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    BFG here as well. I ran a Vtac sling in Irag which is similar but not as robust. Used the VCAS sling the first time I was in A-stan and am using the same sling again here now.

To me, two point is the way to go and BFG is the best two point sling. The point of the slider is not to adjust it immediately on contact, but having the option to adjust it is nice without having to adjust the connection points.

Feedback Score
    I used a USGI sling on my first deployment during the actual invasion of Iraq. As a Arty guy it worked pretty well for me seeing as I spent most my time in a Hummve or manning a 240 in the pause. On my second trip over I used a three point sling. While it was better as far as carrying the rifle around I did not like it as well when I needed it because I liked to use my sling as a shooting aid. I still like a USGI on my personal rifles.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Slings---A Question for Combat Vets.

I’ve been using BFG on my AR’s.
    When I deployed in 2004, our janky unit issued us crap Chinese 2 or 3 point slings for our A2 rifles. As a lefty the stupid sling covered the port. I had to tie it out of the way.
    I guess the ADA units don’t get the high speed stuff!
    Last edited by czgunner; 09-11-18 at 17:43.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I never understood 3 points. You can get the same effect without the complications by simply moving the front mounting point aft. Before all the bad@$$ qd mount accessories available today, we used a big cable tie, or a piece of 550.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Ran an original BFG sling (with aluminum buckle), ran great on my M14 EBR and M4/203. It's all I run now on work and personal guns...
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As an RTO in 06, I was using one of those wolf hook slings that just attached the buttstock to my shoulder with a short strap.

Didn't really know about 2 point adjustable slings back then, and as RTO I was having to take off/put on the radio pack whenever I got out of the Stryker or back into it. The wolf hook kept the M4 attached to me, while a 2pt would have been a constant tangle ****.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
    As an RTO in 06, I was using one of those wolf hook slings that just attached the buttstock to my shoulder with a short strap.
    I initially got one of those, but at JRTC while carrying a casualty the muzzle of my M4 took a core sample, since it just dangled straight down. It seemed ok in theory, but after Ft Polk I decided I wanted something with more control. Now I only see POGs and officers with them...
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast