Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slings---A Question for Combat Vets.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
    As an RTO in 06, I was using one of those wolf hook slings that just attached the buttstock to my shoulder with a short strap.
    I initially got one of those, but at JRTC while carrying a casualty the muzzle of my M4 took a core sample, since it just dangled straight down. It seemed ok in theory, but after Ft Polk I decided I wanted something with more control. Now I only see POGs and officers with them...
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    In 2004 for my one deployment in Iraq I used a 3 point.

Not a big fan of it, and if the Blue Force Gear sling had been a thing I’d have used it. That’s all I run on my current rifles.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have used the BFG overseas and just about every rifle I own has a BFG sling on it.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I used a 3 point in Iraq in 2005, but I was fixing electronics and optics, so pretty much any sling would have been fine. The BFG slings I use now are so much more practical it isn't funny.

Andy

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Two point all the way. If you don't run a two point I typically won't take you seriously (subguns/AWs being an exception). Either BFG or VCAS. When doing an offset patrol onto a target my weapon is carried around my neck and with my right arm through so that when I sling my weapon to check GPS, write down coordinates or whatever else i may need to do, its relatively retained and won't smash against anything. As soon as we hit ORP to conduct a target assault, my weapon goes around my neck only, so i can more freely switch shoulders and do things like ladder work and other stuff. Fast roping, sledging, breaching, etc, weapon needs to be slung around the neck with my arm through and cinched tight. Typically more than enough retention for that kind of work. Pat Macnamara explains all this in a youtube video "Carbine Sling Essentials".

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Do or did any of you active/vets use a super simple sling like the Proctor sling for serious use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    Do or did any of you active/vets use a super simple sling like the Proctor sling for serious use?

I know of one or two, but I can’t remember who. Why, just wondering if it holds up?

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yes. Pretty much. Thinking about putting one on a Colt 6920 with RAS rail for a duty gun set up.

I like the minimalistic aspects of the sling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I know of one or two, but I can’t remember who. Why, just wondering if it holds up?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Slings---A Question for Combat Vets.

Can’t comment there, if I remember who I saw using them I’ll try to find out.

Redback One’s sling is lower profile than the VCAS and the neck slide works very well. I don’t have experience with it in combat but have had one on both of my primary guns for over two years. That being said, for my issued weapon, it wears a padded VCAS sling since I carry it FAR more than I actually shoot it.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My son used a Proctor sling in a Proctor class a few years ago and has been using it even since. I liked the setup and the paracord setup worked well with his quad rail. I couldn't get it to work to my satisfaction with my slick DD MFR rail so I gave it to him. I also have a Redback One sling, but I'm a big fat dude and it didn't have enough adjustment to make me happy, so that one went to my daughter. I keep coming back to my unpadded BFG Vickers sling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast