Thread: Glock 17 with vortex venom RDS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Glock 17 with vortex venom RDS

This is my first experience with this, so please bear with me... So I picked up a G17 with the cut out for a rds. I also picked up a vortex venom that was on sale few weeks back. When I tried to mount the rds to the pistol, the rds is longer than the cutout.

After doing some research, it appears I need a plate of some sort to marry these two together. It seems that i'm going to have to get a plate and have to loose the rear sights. Is that correct? I would really like to keep the rear sights. Can anyone tell me what I need to get to make that happen? Or am I putting this thing together incorrectly?

It's a gen 3 if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by countryboy27012; 09-11-18 at 00:47.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ask the person you bought it from or the shop what RDS the slide was milled for. That’ll solve your problem.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I'm reading this as: you bought a Gen 3 Glock with an aftermarket slide or optic cutout in the slide?

If that's the case, your slide was likely milled for one type of optic, good chance it's an RMR. It does look like adapter plates of different types are available, but without knowing exactly what you have, it's hard to help.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I'm reading this as: you bought a Gen 3 Glock with an aftermarket slide or optic cutout in the slide?

If that's the case, your slide was likely milled for one type of optic, good chance it's an RMR. It does look like adapter plates of different types are available, but without knowing exactly what you have, it's hard to help.
    He might be out of luck with the RDS being longer than the cutout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree with Wake, if the cut out was aftermarket the it was for one type of red dot and those are typically for the RMR. The MOS from Glock comes with several “adapter” plates to accommodate several different brands of red dots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy27012 View Post
    This is my first experience with this, so please bear with me... So I picked up a G17 with the cut out for a rds. I also picked up a vortex venom that was on sale few weeks back. When I tried to mount the rds to the pistol, the rds is longer than the cutout.

After doing some research, it appears I need a plate of some sort to marry these two together. It seems that i'm going to have to get a plate and have to loose the rear sights. Is that correct? I would really like to keep the rear sights. Can anyone tell me what I need to get to make that happen? Or am I putting this thing together incorrectly?

It's a gen 3 if that makes a difference.
    Cutouts are specific for a particular RDS.

You don’t need a plate. Usually most cutouts are for Trijicon RMR. Go to whoever sold you the pistol to find out but you can look at the pattern, measure spacing of the holes....

You won’t have to lose rear sights unless they’re not Suppressor height. If they’re standard, they’re going to have to go. I pretty much have Suppressor height sights on most of my Glocks, now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply guys. I'll call the shop today and find out what rds the slide was cut for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok. I found out that it is cut out for an RMR.

So is there a plate that will go from rmr to vortex and let me keep the rear sights?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy27012 View Post
    Ok. I found out that it is cut out for an RMR.

So is there a plate that will go from rmr to vortex and let me keep the rear sights?
    I am not aware of something like that.

It defeats the purpose of a cutout which minimizes the height of the optic in relation to the slide.

You’re better off getting an RMR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    AFAIK, you can either get an RMR (which is honestly a better option than the Vortex) or get a Dueck Defense mount (which defeats the purpose of your cutout).