Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there any part of a legit Mk18 Mod3 that I can't legally get or is it just money?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post
    I love this forum.

Regularly: Quit bashing Colt's fit and finish. They make war horses, not show ponies.

A few days ago: Don't buy that BCM, you're too obsessed with fit and finish and they'll let you down.

Today: That prototype DD rifle is fugly. A total hack job.
    You didn't see the new solicitation requirements. The last one on the list:

"Must look fabulous!!"

Feedback Score
    I love this forum.

Regularly: Quit bashing Colt's fit and finish. They make war horses, not show ponies.

A few days ago: Don't buy that BCM, you're too obsessed with fit and finish and they'll let you down.

Welcome to the internet, where the hivemind will tell you what to believe for the week but it's constantly changing. I ignore most of that stuff. If it's not a fact then it's not worth getting riled up about.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't think the BCM and COLT scenarios contradict. There was a guy worried about cosmetics, so the suggestion was NOT to order a BCM online, but rather to go to a gun store and pick out a pretty gun. The message only changed because the guy's requirements weren't quality related, but rather display case/coffee table admireability. Silly as hell... but the guys recommended based on his wants.

I've personally never seen a BCM or COLT that looked anything short of excellent.

I'm not sure what the DD issue is. I'm guessing the Anodize miss-match between the mounting ring and the rest of the hand guard. ??
    Last edited by markm; 09-13-18 at 17:55.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't think the BCM and COLT scenarios contradict. There was a guy worried about cosmetics, so the suggestion was NOT to order a BCM online, but rather to go to a gun store and pick out a pretty gun. The message only changed because the guy's requirements weren't quality related, but rather display case/coffee table admireability. Silly as hell... but the guys recommended based on his wants.

I've personally never seen a BCM or COLT that looked anything short of excellent.

I'm not sure what the DD issue is. I'm guessing the Anodize miss-match between the mounting ring and the rest of the hand guard. ??
    I bought a 6920 maybe two years ago online. When I picked it up there were multiple dings in the finish on the upper and lower that appear to have been touched up with something, I'm assuming it's Aluma-black. There are also grind marks on the selector stop under the anodizing. But, it's a Colt. I've never bought a Colt for the "fit and finish" only the quality of the parts so it doesn't bother me. That being said, my 6920-R was perfect, as was the 6960 upper I bought from Brownells to go on the 6920-R lower after I sold the factory upper.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It is the Goldish color that's the problem???

The goldfinger treatment isn’t the main issue, though I confess I don’t see much need to it in any form of combat environment. How can we say that black isn’t Tactical enough, then go with a bling machine?

I understand the anodizing issues, but I’m not sure why we have gone from dark brown, to king Midas.

The actual issue to me is that it looks like the rail simply had the sides partially chopped off. For a “new product”, that leaves a lot to be desired. Functional improvements in the rail to increase strength, rigidity, ease of installation or similar areas are things I would expect to see. I am a large fan of the RIS II rail, but it appears the military has moved on. I would have expected DD to come up with something entirely different in an effort to appeal to the HSLD client base.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The above post I just made should help explain a bit ...
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    It is the Goldish color that's the problem???
    Looks like it's missing some perfectly good rails.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12