Thread: Good Trapdoor Repro?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Good Trapdoor Repro?

The vintage gun thread got me thinking about a Trapdoor carbine. I’ve wanted one for years but the genuine article with a decent barrel is a little much for something I’d put a few rounds through a year and I’d be worried about destroying it since I don’t reload. Same for the slightly cheaper rifle to carbine chop jobs.

Are there any decent repros out there? I’ve seen the H&R ones from the 70’s, even had one show up locally, but I’ve read more than few stories about a flaw in the hinge lock or something like that.

Thanks for any help.

Feedback Score
    I've got an original Trapdoor Carbine which dates from 1879, and a Pedersoli re-make. The latter I have shot smokeless and blackpowder 45-70 405 grain thru. Actually very accurate and reliable little carbine. Highly recommend the re-make. The saddle ring is a nice touch as well.

Just checked on Gunbroker and there's plenty to be found, but they're pricey at @ $1600.00.
    Last edited by OH58D; 04-27-20 at 11:41.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I would have no issues buying a Stoeger-imported Uberti Trapdoor.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I would have no issues buying a Stoeger-imported Uberti Trapdoor.
    Davide Pedersoli makes them for Uberti.
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Dixie Gun Works sells them.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Here's a decent video review. Keep in mind the Cavalry Trooper issued these was also issued reduced power ammo - 45-55 405 instead of the 45-70. They'd have a cardboard spacer in the copper shell casing. The video shows the considerable kick in the carbine with a 70 grains of powder. I have a number of those in my collection, and my great-grandfather served with the 3rd US Cavalry in New Mexico, Arizona and the northern plains between 1872 and 1879.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks all. I’m weird about C&R/antique stuff and prefer to own the real deal only if I can safely shoot modern production ammo for the caliber. Even for a repro Trapdoor, I’m guessing I’m limited to cowboy loads because of the action.

Which model would’ve showed up in greater numbers on the Spanish American War, carbine or rifle? Anyone have an idea? Same for the Philippines.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Thanks all. I’m weird about C&R/antique stuff and prefer to own the real deal only if I can safely shoot modern production ammo for the caliber. Even for a repro Trapdoor, I’m guessing I’m limited to cowboy loads because of the action.

Which model would’ve showed up in greater numbers on the Spanish American War, carbine or rifle? Anyone have an idea? Same for the Philippines.
    Rifle, by far.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.