Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My dog -- Mr. Bones -- RIP

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My wife has suggested and volunteered to put together an old-fashioned picture album with photos of Mr. Bones. We've never done that for any of our pets. She showed me a Polaroid (where'd she get that?) of our (then) nine year old son with our new puppy sitting between his feet. I had never seen it before.

NOTE: My grandfather flew with the RAF in WWI, and was attached to the American 94th Pursuit Squadron as a military advisor. When he settled down in Hawaii in the 1930s, he had a collection of dachshunds named after German/Prussian military figures. My mother was never able to remember all their names, but there was a "Tirpy" (von Tirpitz), a "Willy" (Wilhelm II), and a "Bizzy" (von Bismark).
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    Thanks. I am going to wait a bit though. I want to appreciate all that he gave to me (and the family) before "replacing" him. It's pretty fresh; he only died two hours ago.
    Very sorry. When I stop and think about how good dogs really are, it is bewildering. I often think we don't deserve them, but I find comfort in giving them a good life.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Update

I am necroposting my own thread. I guess that's OK.

I promised my wife that we would get a new kitchen, and that took almost all of 2019. Planning began in February, and work began in June. People constantly in and out; I ate from a microwave or takeout until October. No time or opportunity for a puppy (hell, we didn't even have a back door).

Then things changed, and my wife's mother's cleaning lady's sister's dog had a huge litter of Golden Retrievers. We got the runt in December. Meet my new girl Lavender Lava (pics from when we got her at two months):

Snoozin'

Lava 02.jpg

In the arms of Son of Commander Paisley

IMG_01.jpg

I still miss Mr. Bones, but Lava is her own sort. Even though she is the runt, she is growing like crazy, now about 30 lbs. at 4 months.
    Last edited by Amicus; 02-11-20 at 18:56. Reason: Update
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Congratulations, love runts for some reason

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    I’ve read that runts are not necessarily going to be small, many are the last pups conceived during the female’s heat cycle if the dogs are coupling multiple times. So a runt might just be tail end Charlie on conception and therefore a week younger than his or her litter mates.

Good looking girl, she’s going to have a great time.

Feedback Score
    Not to go off topic but our new pup has now been with us for a year. The tables have turned....

diy body mask for dry skin

Feedback Score
    He’s quite patient with the boy.

diy body mask for dry skin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I’ve read that runts are not necessarily going to be small, many are the last pups conceived during the female’s heat cycle if the dogs are coupling multiple times. So a runt might just be tail end Charlie on conception and therefore a week younger than his or her litter mates.

Good looking girl, she’s going to have a great time.
    That might explain a few things. The litter was 12 pups (!), nine male and three female. The sire and bitch live at the same farm, so the opportunity for multiple ... coupling ... was there. The bitch suckled in shifts to accommodate them all, so there was no weak runt who failed to develop because he was the ninth pup trying for eight tits.

According to the owner, the bitch was pretty relieved when the puppies were weaned.

Sadly, one of the male puppies has died: he was never quite right (according to the bitch's owner), and she kept him at the farm until he just lay down and expired one day.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Congrats! We just got a pup after losing our Siberian Husky almost two years ago. He was my first dog...it hurt bad. Finally came around and picked up our new black lab pup last weekend, he's going to be a great dog. Looks Like Lava will be too...love her everyday.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Update on Lavender Lava. Six and a half months old, 53 pounds (two months/10 pounds in pics above), sometimes a terror, sometimes a sweetie, and she just took my spot on the couch.

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3026-A.jpg
    Last edited by Amicus; 04-27-20 at 20:16. Reason: Upside down pic

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast