Page 250 of 265 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 2644

Thread: And This is How Civil Wars Begin....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Guns work both ways
    There it is; the bottom line.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd rather do the butchering than get butchered. I can think of worse things to be than a monster, such as dead.
    I may not be capable of acts of Tier 1 combat proficiency. I'm a career civilian, I've never shot at another person or been shot at by one, I've never done anything impressive with myself....but I've always had this loathsome, tarry sort of darkness in my soul - a foul morass of every horrible thing my sensitive child self couldn't forget he saw or had done to him, spiced with the vivid creations of a twisted imagination in overdrive - weighing it down, weighing me down, and properly motivated, I think I could turn that hatred and ugliness back outwards if need be. So if I even manage to survive at all, which is uncertain, perhaps I would come out the other side of CW2 as a creature now consumed by the darkness I had once kept shut away - a "monster" as it were - but at least I'd still be breathing.

But mostly I'd prefer to kick back on my porch on a summer afternoon and feed peanuts to the bluejays....which is what I intend to do when I get home today.

Feedback Score
    The WWII generation did what they had to do on the field of battle. They didn’t return from war and consider themselves warriors, tier one professional killers. They got on living a good life, raising families, building careers. That’s what it’s all about.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    The WWII generation did what they had to do on the field of battle. They didn’t return from war and consider themselves warriors, tier one professional killers. They got on living a good life, raising families, building careers. That’s what it’s all about.
    Most of them didn't even fire their weapons in anger. Those that did, particularly in the European theater, intentionally missed rather than killing someone that looked like their neighbor.

GWOT vets are different. If the Taliban/Mujahadeen/whomever shoots at an American unit they'll receive a torrent of accurate return fire. We have no aversion to killing, and there are a lot of us just sitting around biding our time.

To paraphrase Steve Earl; "I learned a thing or two from Muhammad, don't you know. You better stay away from my damn road".
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    The Civil War generation was much the same way.

We just buried our LAST WWII combat veteran (Navy) at our church in May. HIS dad died at age 32, so Alex (our vet) dropped out of school, and joined the Navy at age 15. Reported to his ship a couple of weeks before his 16th birthday, in late '42.

I got to hang out with him - drive him to our church men's breakfast, out to lunch once a month - and even took him to a couple of Pirates games over the last few years. And in my late 40's/early 50's, I got to know him, unlike the WWII vets I knew as a kid, and am grateful for it. And yes, the war did NOT define him - it was a job that had to be done, so he - like millions of others - just did it.

Came home & worked in a steel mill the next 42 years. Nicest guy you'd ever wanna meet, but I think perhaps, the TOUGHEST man I'VE ever know. I miss him... but I miss his generation even more.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    Most of them didn't even fire their weapons in anger. Those that did, particularly in the European theater, intentionally missed rather than killing someone that looked like their neighbor.

GWOT vets are different. If the Taliban/Mujahadeen/whomever shoots at an American unit they'll receive a torrent of accurate return fire. We have no aversion to killing, and there are a lot of us just sitting around biding our time.

To paraphrase Steve Earl; "I learned a thing or two from Muhammad, don't you know. You better stay away from my damn road".
    There were a lot of WWII vets that saw a lot of combat like Easy company did. They didn't come back as tacticool professional killers.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Honu, you nailed it. Most people can't handle the fact they will have to become butchers to win, and then, what good is it to win if you've become a monster?
    If YOU think YOU are a butcher and monster if you have to kill in battle then YOU might have a mindset issue.

Cultivating a warrior mindset is more important than any gun related stuff. Resolving any internal conflicts about use of force is something YOU have to workout.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 07-04-19 at 14:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    If YOU think YOU are a butcher and monster if you have to kill in battle then YOU might have a mindset issue.

Cultivating a warrior mindset is more important than any gun related stuff. Resolving any internal conflicts about use of force is something YOU have to workout.
    They were talking about being like the drug cartels: kidnapping and torturing people. Those are the butchers, not legitimate combatants.

Personally I have no problem killing as long as it's justified.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 07-04-19 at 15:09.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Here is pic of the butchers and monsters of Trenton, New Jersey aka Murdertown USA

Feedback Score
    When they are coming for us we will have no choice. Once we repel the initial wave, everyone who survives in this state will march on Sacramento.

Page 250 of 265 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260 ... LastLast