Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Built an AR

Feedback Score

Just Built an AR

Built my first AR using PSA 16 inch upper with mid range gas tube, 1-7 NATO, lightweight M-lok with MBUS sights and a MAG Tactical Systems lower. A lower parts kit that was given to me. Gun shoots great very tight fit with upper and lower. Great groups using 55 gr 30 year old ammo. Now for the magazines. So far the 30 year old aluminum mags with new followers only one would work with no jams. First one would leave last round on carrier with bolt locket back,next 3 bolt would ride over top of round and jam gun. Only one ran all 30 rounds with no trouble. I still have 15 more to test as I find goods one I will set aside. The bad mags will be given to anyone that wants them. I am guessing that the old mags just will no work with my new gun? Maybe I should buy some new PMAGS? I have only shot 50-60 rounds so far, but by the time I get done testing all the old mags I should be into 100-150 rounds.
    I also have a 40 year old AK with a hand grip and rail red dot sight mounted on it. I never had any type of jam or misfires with it. Guess witch one I would take into harms way? So far I have no faith in either of my AR's. Is it just me or are AR's unreliable?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creek21 View Post
    Built my first AR using PSA 16 inch upper with mid range gas tube, 1-7 NATO, lightweight M-lok with MBUS sights and a MAG Tactical Systems lower. A lower parts kit that was given to me. Gun shoots great very tight fit with upper and lower. Great groups using 55 gr 30 year old ammo. Now for the magazines. So far the 30 year old aluminum mags with new followers only one would work with no jams. First one would leave last round on carrier with bolt locket back,next 3 bolt would ride over top of round and jam gun. Only one ran all 30 rounds with no trouble. I still have 15 more to test as I find goods one I will set aside. The bad mags will be given to anyone that wants them. I am guessing that the old mags just will no work with my new gun? Maybe I should buy some new PMAGS? I have only shot 50-60 rounds so far, but by the time I get done testing all the old mags I should be into 100-150 rounds.
    I also have a 40 year old AK with a hand grip and rail red dot sight mounted on it. I never had any type of jam or misfires with it. Guess witch one I would take into harms way? So far I have no faith in either of my AR's. Is it just me or are AR's unreliable?
    Shit ARs and shit magazines are unreliable. Get some PMAGs and try those out. Don’t hold your breath though because PSA isn’t known for high reliability, some of the guns seem to run, some don’t. That’s the gamble you take on budget parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It just crack me up, people buy POS AR's, when they don't run worth shit now all of sudden AR's are unreliable, go figure. Go buy an Inter Ordnance Firearms AK and you can have an unreliable AK too.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Guess witch one???......C'mon man. I smell a troll.

Feedback Score
    Reliable was a question , just looking for input from people in the know. Back in 1967 AR's did run well than either. Marines up in I core where not happy with them. I was able to get a Winchester Mod 12 for searching san-pans and junks on the rivers. My AK is a GP WAS 10 I picked up in 1989 mags came from different times and all are old sheet metal or aluminum. In fact the whole gun is sheet metal. Am able to hit clay birds at 100 yards. This gun would get the job done. I just wanted to build this AR because I had some parts given to me. I would like to see it run. If not I will buy a Colt or S&W . What would be a top running AR 16 inch manufacture?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Don’t give away your junk mags. Smash them with a hammer or vice. Its the right thing to do, just like carabiners that have caught a fall. Buy PMags or Okay Surefeeds for the easy button.

Go buy a Colt. They’re like $850, with Magpul furniture.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    This site is hostile to PSA. Try brand new magazines. My PSA had trouble with old 20 rd magazines, but functions flawlessly with new D & H and PMAG magazines which seem to have stiffer springs than the old 20 round mags. I think that the carbines have a slightly faster cyclic rate and the older magazines don't push the follower up fast enough.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Just Built an AR

Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    This site is hostile to PSA. Try brand new magazines. My PSA had trouble with old 20 rd magazines, but functions flawlessly with new D & H and PMAG magazines which seem to have stiffer springs than the old 20 round mags. I think that the carbines have a slightly faster cyclic rate and the older magazines don't push the follower up fast enough.
    So far, I’ve been very pleased with my PSA for the money. But I know that if it malfunctions, it’s not because the AR is an unreliable platform.

As you said, followers are only a part of the battle. The springs should be replaced as well, and nothing will fix ****ed up feed lips.

ARs not working well back in the 60s doesn’t really mean anything. They’ve been continually refined for the past 60 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 09-06-18 at 16:08.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Thank you mulberry I have a old Colt A-2 from 1979 that I added extras for coyote hunting. I haven't shot it in over a year very heavy gun but with 5 round mags it took its fair share of dogs. Mags gave me trouble with the A-2 too. I wanted a light AR for shooting in my back yard and keeping pest off my property. I figured it was just the mags but another opinion to reaffirm my guess. I do not understand PSA is just a manufacture/ seller of goods. HOSTILE???

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creek21 View Post
    Thank you mulberry I have a old Colt A-2 from 1979 that I added extras for coyote hunting. I haven't shot it in over a year very heavy gun but with 5 round mags it took its fair share of dogs. Mags gave me trouble with the A-2 too. I wanted a light AR for shooting in my back yard and keeping pest off my property. I figured it was just the mags but another opinion to reaffirm my guess. I do not understand PSA is just a manufacture/ seller of goods. HOSTILE???
    Here’s the deal with the mentality in this forum: while not everybody here uses or has used a rifle in a professional sense, the origin and theme of the site revolves around the M4 Carbine, as produced by Colt and FN. Any rifle that does not consistently live up to the technical data package set by the military as a minimum standard, is deemed a “hobby grade” rifle. Bushmaster, RRA, PSA, etc. Strangely some of these guns cost nearly as much, or even more (RRA) than a Colt 6920, the semi-auto analog of the M4. Its not that they are hostile, so much as frustrated when someone buys a hobby grade gun and concludes that the platform blows. Examine a hobby rifle closely, and compare it to a 6920, and you will find corners cut. Common flaws are incorrectly sized gas ports, improper carrier key staking, no castle nut staking, incorrect grades of metals.

Colt makes a good rifle for a good price. I, personally would not consider any weapon costing less, not because I am a snob, but because Colt has been making these rifles on a large scale, for a long time, and can price their weapons at a competitive price compared to relative newcomers. Most other brands have to cut a lot of corners to get below that price point, resulting in a frustrating user experience. My first AR was a Bushmaster, and I have learned that lesson. Of course that was during the bad old days, where Colt neutered their guns so badly, that I might not have liked that, either.

A brand that is on par with Colt, and offers more custom options is BCM. I would not consider them better, but they are good.

Some guys like their Daniel Defense and Noveske rifles (me). These guns are expensive.

The only gun I know of that is a true improvement in technical details over any rifle that I am aware that Colt makes is Knight’s Armament. You pay alot, but get alot.

Too long; didn’t read? You get what you pay for. I sold that Bushmaster with full disclosure ten years ago and have been much happier with the platform since.

Welcome to M4c. Help us help you get your rifle situation squared away.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast