Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best barrel length for NF 1-8 ATACR?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Best barrel length for NF 1-8 ATACR?

I’m looking for the shortest barrel length possible while still being capable at ranges that require the 8x end. Essentially I want to fully utilize the magnification range of the optic while keeping the rifle as compact as I can.

How far can one reasonably hit a 12” target with a 77-gr bullet and 8x magnification?

I’m stuck between 14.5, 16 and 18. Also thinking about pairing the ATACR with the Scalaraworks LEAP/Scope and Magpul bipod. Any thoughts on that are appreciated as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You can do 14.5 with 77s. With a good spot, we aim to punch the 7" flapper at 750 yards using good 77 gr handloads. For 1000 yards, you're working to hit that 12", especially if there's wind/variable winds.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You can check with a ballistic calculator but you'll need the muzzle velocity with your different barrels. For my case, I think Magtech 77gr is transonic around 750 yards out of a 20" barrel. I could probably make it to 650 yards with a 14.5". It'll be roughly 6 mils drop while the ATACR reticle has up to 10 mils, almost as if they had a bigger cartridge in mind.

This is just purely academic looking at ballistic range and not considering wind drift or effective bullet energy.

Here's what a 12" target might look like at 700 yards with the ATACR reticle:

Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 09-13-18 at 19:24.

Feedback Score
    That’s very helpful, thanks. Seems like based off that, maybe the ATACR is overkill for the supersonic range of 5.56...? Maybe the NX8 would be a lighter, more realistic option...?

Feedback Score
    Upon further examination, the NX8 has 10 Mils of drop as well.... Seems like overkill, but I still want the best LPVO for my carbine. Since the ATACR has better glass I’ll probably still go with that.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think choosing a barrel to maximize the use of drops on the optic reticle is probably backwards anyway. It makes more sense to choose barrel and optic based on intended use cases. Target shooting to maximum distance vs effective man-stopping or hunting or indoor home-defense all have different and sometimes competing criteria.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For what it's worth, trans-sonic has not been an issue AT ALL for us with 77 gr SMKs. The ONLY time that has shown to be problematic is out of my 20" 1/12 .308 combined with 168 gr SMKs. I really saw fanning.

77s in a 1/8 or 1/7??? No sweat beyond super sonic ranges... at least at our altitude.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    For what it's worth, trans-sonic has not been an issue AT ALL for us with 77 gr SMKs. The ONLY time that has shown to be problematic is out of my 20" 1/12 .308 combined with 168 gr SMKs. I really saw fanning.

77s in a 1/8 or 1/7??? No sweat beyond super sonic ranges... at least at our altitude.
    So you don’t think it’s necessary to go any longer than 14.5” for most 5.56 engagement distances if using SMK/TMK? What about 70 TSX?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    So you don’t think it’s necessary to go any longer than 14.5” for most 5.56 engagement distances if using SMK/TMK? What about 70 TSX?

Engaging what, or whom? What distances are you looking at using the weapon? Markm shooting on his 1k KD backyard range is awesome, but if you can’t shoot farther than 200 yards around your locale than it is a moot point.

Hopefully that makes sense. You may find yourself with the wrong optic if distance is your primary focus, especially if it end up being unrealistic.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I have 2 atacrs and I run one on my centurion 12.5 and one on my hodge 14.5. At Buck Doyle's class in utah I took my 14.5 hodge out to 800 yds on 12in steel. It was a slight stretch because I wanted slightly more magnification to range better, but i made about 50% hits with imi 77 grain (20 mph cross canyon winds). I also like the atacr on my 12.5 because the 1x is so flat and that 12.5 shoots out to 600 pretty easily for me and I appreciate the extra magnification.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast