Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Story behind super inexpensive carry handle sights?

Feedback Score

Story behind super inexpensive carry handle sights?

https://monstrumtactical.com/product...eid=1aa7a02229

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    SHIPPING & RETURNS
    100% Risk Free, Lifetime Warranty

The AR-15 detachable carry handle is the classic add-on to any AR-15 rifle build. Aircraft grade aluminum and steel in construction, the carry handle is both sturdy and functional. It comes equipped with a built-in A2 dual aperture rear flip-up sight with adjustable windage and elevation settings. Detachable carry handle for use with AR-15 flat top rifles, attaches and detaches quickly to any picatinny rail equipped rifle. Available in Black, Flat Dark Earth, Pink, or Olive Grab Green.

Includes: AR-15 Carry Handle, A2 Rear Sight
    Materials: 6061 Aircraft Grade Aluminum
    Compatibility: AR-15, Rifles with Picatinny rail
    Weight: 9 oz
    Length: Carry Handle: 5 in, Base: 7 in
    Color: Black, Flat Dark Earth, or Olive Drab Green.
    Warranty: Lifetime
    $14.95 each

Seems impossible. Are these Chinese knockoffs? Airsoft lookalike? I've always tried to purchase my carry handles from BCM, or get the genuine Colt ones from Brownells. I'm just curious how anybody can possibly be selling decent quality (or even lower quality) ones for fifteen bucks?

I see the slotted screw on the side of the sight looks nothing like the milspec ones, so this is obviously some kind of commercial knockoff. It also appears that the thumb nut screws are not staked. So we're not talking anything like the genuine article here.

Worth the price for a beat-around, maybe? Range toy only sight? At fifteen bucks maybe they won't even hold zero?

Just curious. I guess this thread is more of a "buyer beware" type thread.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-21-18 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Excellent. I thought so.

I once bought a railed handguard from Monstrum Tactical. It was so bad that they used overlong screws to hold the two halves together. That kind of sloppiness just smacks of cheap junk and I knew in my heart of hearts these carry handles must be the same crap.

It's a good cautionary tale to always buy quality.

Feedback Score
    Expect the windage dial to pop right off.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It only gets worse when people start thinking all carry handles are the same, or that the term "milspec" means something on an item which is 1/10th the cost of normal.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    If you’re looking for a cheaper option, my “premium” PSA carry handle that I got last week is actually very nice and was $69.99 shipped. I’d prefer BCM, but it went on a $200 PSA upper so the extra $30-40 would’ve been a waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    If you’re looking for a cheaper option, my “premium” PSA carry handle that I got last week is actually very nice and was $69.99 shipped. I’d prefer BCM, but it went on a $200 PSA upper so the extra $30-40 would’ve been a waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have enough, and they are all BCM or Colt as stated earlier. I just looked at that advertisement and thought, "Somebody needs to point out WHY this is not a good deal." I saw the lack of staking in the thumb nut screws as an obvious defect. The different screw head on the side of the sight might not be such a big deal other than to flag the buyer that it's not the genuine article.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I came across a cheapo knock off LMT fixed buis. The shit quality could be seen by Stevie Wonder.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    They are cheap because you arent paying for the name.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I came across a cheapo knock off LMT fixed buis. The shit quality could be seen by Stevie Wonder.
    Junk pot metal and wiggly parts do not make for quality components.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast