Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trijicon Accupower 1-8 Vs. Nightforce ATACR 1-8

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Trijicon Accupower 1-8 Vs. Nightforce ATACR 1-8

Trijicon Accupower 1-8 Vs. Nightforce ATACR 1-8

How do this two scopes compare? The Nightforce is clearly the better scope, I don't think any one will argue that. But how much better and in what ways?

These are very similar scopes on paper.
    -Dimensionally they are very similar, though the Trijicon lists as 4oz. heavier.
    -People report the Trijicon is not as bright as may be liked.
    -The Trijicon has reports of turret zero set issues.

But what I am really interested in is how much better is the ATACR glass? Is it more than twice as good?
    Edge to edge clarity?
    Flatness?
    How forgiving is the eye box?
    How forgiving is the eye relief?
    How thin is the perceived 'black ring' around the eye box?

I am interested in how these parameters compare between the two scopes. I expect the Nightforce is better in all aspects? But how much better? I'd love to hear from people who have handled both mounted on a gun.

I am trying to decide between a Trijicom accupower 1-8 and a Nightforce nxs 1-8 or only a Nightforce ATACR 1-8. Previously I was set on both of the lesser scopes for about 2800$ together. But now with all of the rave reviews on the ATACR I wonder if my money is better spent on one scope?

I own two nightforce nxs scopes, a 1-4 and a 2.5-10. I am comfortable spending that much on a scope, I am a little hesitant to drop 2750$ on a single scope. Is the value there or are there diminishing returns as you move up from the trijicon?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It's my opinion that the NX8 and ATACR do not overlap. That's like saying the porche gt3 and the G55 AMG are contenders because they both have similar horsepower. They are just too different to compare even though the have the same power.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    It's my opinion that the NX8 and ATACR do not overlap. That's like saying the porche gt3 and the G55 AMG are contenders because they both have similar horsepower. They are just too different to compare even though the have the same power.
    Correct and those comparisons exist pretty in depth online.

Which is why I am interested in a comparison in the dimensionally similar Trijicon 1-8 and Nightforce ATACR 1-8. I know in buying the nxs 1-8 I am buying a different class of 1-8.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Correct and those comparisons exist pretty in depth online.

Which is why I am interested in a comparison in the dimensionally similar Trijicon 1-8 and Nightforce ATACR 1-8. I know in buying the nxs 1-8 I am buying a different class of 1-8.
    I have not looked through an ATACR, but the Trijicon 1-8 that I looked through was "very meh", is about the best I can sum it up. The unity on 1x was G2G, but everything else kindof sucked. I think it would be a great buy in the $7-800 range.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I have not looked through an ATACR, but the Trijicon 1-8 that I looked through was "very meh", is about the best I can sum it up. The unity on 1x was G2G, but everything else kind of sucked. I think it would be a great buy in the $7-800 range.
    Which is what I have read and what has got me onto the idea of the ATACR, especially as I had already been considering a Trijicon 1-8. The NXS reviews made me wonder if I should just get the ATACR. What I am trying to establish is if the Trijicon is a better value than the ATACR.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    You're comparing a $1200 scope to a $2700 scope. The ATACR is better in every possible way except I personally prefer Euro style diopter adjustment, which the ATACR doesn't have.

I would use the NX8, razor 1-6, or kahles k16i over the trijicon 1-8. And I currently own or used to own all of the mentioned scopes, including the trijicon.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    You're comparing a $1200 scope to a $2700 scope. The ATACR is better in every possible way except I personally prefer Euro style diopter adjustment, which the ATACR doesn't have.

I would use the NX8, razor 1-6, or kahles k16i over the trijicon 1-8. And I currently own or used to own all of the mentioned scopes, including the trijicon.
    Thank you for your reply. I do understand it is an all around better scope, this is expected.

Would you be willing to compare some of the parameters between the two? like eye box and eye relief forgiveness? Edge to edge clarity?

Is it twice as good as the Trijicon?

Do you think the NXS is better than the trijicon because of size or because of optics? Is the NXS eye box more or as forgiving as the Trijicon?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I do understand it is an all around better scope, this is expected.

Would you be willing to compare some of the parameters between the two? like eye box and eye relief forgiveness? Edge to edge clarity?

Is it twice as good as the Trijicon?

Do you think the NXS is better than the trijicon because of size or because of optics? Is the NXS eye box more or as forgiving as the Trijicon?
    Yes, it's more than twice as good. This doesn't mean the trijicon is bad, however. It's simply a different class of optic.

Accupower glass is like NXS or Viper PST 2 glass. The price reflects this. ATACR glass is like S&B glass. Less chromatic abberation, higher contrast, better color rendition, etc.

The eye box on the ATACR is very comfortable. There's little edge distortion. The glass is excellent. It's nearly an inch shorter and a quarter pound less, and the illumination is much better. Oh, and the biggest thing: the ATACR reticle is good; the accupower reticle is, in my opinion, quite poor.

The NX8 compared to the trijicon is a bit different. The NX8 is 2" shorter and a half pound lighter. The illumination is nuclear bright (setting 8 on NX8 equals max setting on ATACR). The reticle is much better, too (some would say better than the ATACR reticle, even). The eye box is not as forgiving compared to the trijicon, and the glass quality is similar. The NX8 is also a bit more expensive.

At the $1200-1300 price point I'd go Razor E 1-6 all day long. At the $2000 price point I'd probably still go Razor unless you really like the weight and reticle in the Kahles k16i. The Razor is the value king in the high end 1-x scope choices. The 1-8 offerings all have compromises, be it eye box, weight, illumination, reticle, or cost.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    To add, the ATACR's clarity and color rendition is quite remarkable for it's focal range. Love the reticle and it's nuclear bright DLV. Never had a need to crank it that high, but it's nice to know it's there if you need it. It's also built very robust, which is pretty much par for course for any optic in this class these days, but I feel very confident in its ability to retain zero and functionality if it were to take a nasty spill. The only thing I really don't really care for is the locking ring on the eyepiece, but I can live with it.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There’s not one post on here I’d argue with. This coming from a guy that currently owns the ATACR 1-8, the NX8, a NF 2.5-10x24, and sold a Razor 1-6 to find those purchases. Slippers and Boba hit the nail on the head. The Trijicon isn’t even in the conversation if we’re talking about the ATACR. My one point of possible disagreement, and this is so personal as to be simply one guy’s opinion, is that I believe the NX8 is 90% of what the ATACR is. Guys will disagree, and that’s why scope forums exist, but I do LOVE that little NX8. At 17oz, and a size like most 1-4’s, I love the NX8. BUT, both of them are superior to the Trijicon, I don’t think that’s arguable.

It’s a phenomenal time right now for LPV’s. We’ve never had it better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast