Thread: 18" AR-15 with Hornady 62 FMJ

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

18" AR-15 with Hornady 62 FMJ

Some of you might have seen my previous post where I was experimenting with 60 Vmax. Here is the link if you want more background.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ornady-60VMax0

My setup is an inexpensive AR15 with a KAK Value Line 18" Mid Length 5.56 1/7 twist. It has a Primary Arms 3-9 scope on top and a cheap bi-pod on the free float hand guard. It is kind of a parts bin gun.

After playing with 60 VMax and a few 69SMK, I decided to try Hornady's 62 FMJ. The one without the steel insert.
    https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...4-62-gr-fmj#!/

Here is the load data from Hornady.
    https://press.hornady.com/assets/sit...to-60-62gr.pdf

I loaded up 7 loadings using once fired PMC Brass trimmed to 1.750.
    I used CCI 450 Primers
    4 Loads were H322. 23.3gn, 23.5gn, 23.7gn, and 23.9gns. The last two are over max, but my gun had never shown pressure signs at max with any powder. I guess my camber is large?
    3 Loads were H335. 24.0gns, 24.3 gns, 24.6gns.

MagnetoSpeed Chrono was used.

Attachment 53797
    The Targets. Groups are rounded to the nearest 1/4" and measured for extreme spread. I also marked 2 rounds that I knew I threw.

Normally there is a Vortex 3x Spit-Fire that sits on top of this rifle. I tried a PA 1-6, but didn't like it. It was heavy, eye relief was less than the Spit-Fire and the 6x was not as good as the 9x for shooting at targets. I sold that replaced it with the PA 3-9.

It looks like H335 gives me what I was looking for. That is a round that can work with the sub tensions for hold over in a Vortex Spitfire when zeroed at 50 yds. I also needed the ammo to use in a urban precision carbine course. It's not a sniper course but I wanted the ammo to shoot sub 1 1/2" MOA and do it cheap. The 62 FMJ is about .11 a round right now. It needs about a .03 primer and .10 of powder. So for .24 cents I can get a decent performing round. The H335 is nice as it makes bulk loading easy with the powder throw.

I guess I need to load a few more up and confirm it with a few more groupings. H322 also did well, but H335 loads a touch easier and is about 4 dollars cheaper per lb here.

For those out there looking to push the round....at least in my gun there seems to be significantly more velocity that could be gained if needed.

I have photos of the casings after being fired that I wanted to add but I keep getting an Error about exceeding my "Quota".

Ok, I delete some images and was able to upload a few. (They only give you 2mb of space here?). I now how this weird Attached Thumbnails I can't seem to get rid of tho...

Anyway, here is the image of the casings. H322 on the left, H335 on the right. Charges go up from low to high going Left to Right.
    Attachment 53798
    Last edited by TomPenguin5145; 09-14-18 at 16:42.