Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 18" AR-15 with Hornady 62 FMJ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My purpose for the 62 grain Hornady HPBT bullets is to inexpensively punch holes in paper and other non-living objects at ranges up to 200 yards with precision beyond what a lousy FMJ is able to deliver.

As you stated, there are better choices for targets (especially at longer range) and much better choices for hunting, but those choices don't cost $0.09 per bullet.

Feedback Score
    Any bullet in 223/5.56 will work and work well in a SHTF scenario in which your thinking your going to need stock piled ammunition. Wanna have the best of the best and can afford it. Cool, do it. Can't afford it? Just buy a small amount of premium to cover the "man at the door" threat and stock up on whatever you can if you feel you need to. Lets not get too hung up on this.

I see a lot of these bullet arguments the same as 9mm vs .45 vs .40. Even "lowly" M193 works just fine at short to mid range. That's not the reason the military replaced it. IMO, the only people that really need to pay special attention to what they are shooting are the ppl with the really short barrels.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5shank View Post
    So your good with these if trouble was at the door? Now keep in mind we're talking about three bullets ( 55gr FMJ, 62 gr FMJ and 62 gr HPBT ) , I know there are better choices but I'm only talking about these three.
    The hornady 62 hpbt is monumentally better than the other two. It'd be decent to fight with, although the 77 otm is still my pick.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    As you stated, there are better choices for targets (especially at longer range) and much better choices for hunting, but those choices don't cost $0.09 per bullet.
    Exactly. You can shoot at the target twice for the price of a 77 gr.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Not a bad reply! The point I was trying to make is (was) what box does this bullet fit in, plinking, Hunting, Defense, maybe fishing. Hornady say's the bullet jacket is thicker so does that mean it's "what" and what rolls will it be used in or take on?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234