Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Important Is Weak-Side Shooting?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Several of the Carbine 2 courses I have run have sections that focus on shooting and manipulation with your weak side hand ( the theory being you were injured or had to hold something in your other hand you couldn't put down, like a child.) While my weak side shooting was better than I expected ( I do practice,) I found that left handed weapon malfunctions were a PITA to say the least. In several cases requiring me to basically step on the gun using my foot to hold open bolt and clear jams ( not something I had done prior to these sections.) It required a little thought and problem solving on the fly , toughest part for many in the class was throwing their 2 thousand dollar AR on the ground and stepping on it. Mine are tools not safe queens but some of the looks from students was priceless when the instructor told them to step on their gun on the gravel
    Last edited by Freelance; 09-20-18 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelance View Post
    toughest part for many in the class was throwing their 2 thousand dollar AR on the ground and stepping on it, mine are tools not safe queens but some of the looks from students was priceless when the instructor told them to step on their gun on the gravel
    I never did that. But shooting roll over prone or whatever with the ejection port blasting down into the dirt.... good for getting your gun a little crusty.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    toughest part for many in the class was throwing their 2 thousand dollar AR on the ground and stepping on it. Mine are tools not safe queens but some of the looks from students was priceless when the instructor told them to step on their gun on the gravel
    Who's class was this? That's pretty dumb and unnecessary.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    toughest part for many in the class was throwing their 2 thousand dollar AR on the ground and stepping on it. Mine are tools not safe queens but some of the looks from students was priceless when the instructor told them to step on their gun on the gravel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    Who's class was this? That's pretty dumb and unnecessary.
    Kind of my way of thinking. First off, if you don't want to throw your rifle down, don't throw your rifle down - you are paying the instructor, not the other way around. Secondly, what were you clearing that either tomahawking or mortaring wouldn't get the bolt to the rear, or forward?

I'm kind of meh about the emphasis some instructors put on clearing the most complicated malfunction - I can see for .mil users who may not have a backup; As per LEO's, I've always been of the opinion that if immediate action doesn't clear it, transition to the sidearm. If I'm your partner, the last thing I want you doing in our gunfight is trying to clear a charging handle impingement, we got shooting to do.

JMO, YMMV.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123