Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M16 A2 Clone

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    That's part of the reason I built this, at least what I told myself to justify building it. I now have something similar to what my current unit issues, to practice with so I can qualify "expert" every time we go to the range. Ha Ha, in reality I just wanted to build it.
    This thread got me craving some iron sight action. I took my 16" White Oak dissy (mentioned above) out Yesterday. I grabbed 10 rounds of 77 gr Mark Hills hand loads, and asked Pappabear to spot me at 750 yards. The carry handle is a 6/3 drum. Spun it all the way up, and had to hold over the target about 8 feet. Got a hit on my 5th or 6th attempt.

When you have someone competent spotting for you, it's amazing what you can hit.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This thread got me craving some iron sight action. I took my 16" White Oak dissy (mentioned above) out Yesterday. I grabbed 10 rounds of 77 gr Mark Hills hand loads, and asked Pappabear to spot me at 750 yards. The carry handle is a 6/3 drum. Spun it all the way up, and had to hold over the target about 8 feet. Got a hit on my 5th or 6th attempt.

When you have someone competent spotting for you, it's amazing what you can hit.
    Nice!! There's something very satisfying about shooting with irons, especially when you're able to challenge yourself at distance. We should start an irons only club.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Thanks for the help. The only non black M16 pics I could find were ones covered in fine sand for whatever reason. I guess guys that really needed or were allowed a camo weapon probably chose shorter M4s instead.

Still leaves me stuck with a shiny black barreled A4! Maybe I will try some parkerized gray alumnahyde...

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Hey man don't let being 100% "clone correct" get in the way of doing what you want with your rifle. If you want to paint it in a high speed desert camo paint job, then I say go for it. After all, it is your weapon. I think cloning is great, as it's a nice way to keep old service rifles alive, but I wouldn't take it too seriously. Grab some Krylon or Rustoleum and rock on!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks good. I took a much simpler route with my M16A2 clone.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Looks good. I took a much simpler route with my M16A2 clone.

That is a clean, pure A2 build . I'm jealous of your lower receiver markings btw! I actually came across BCP while searching for my parts, but my local dealer had such a good deal on Mega lowers, that I couldn't pass it up. Did you use a surplus upper?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    That is a clean, pure A2 build . I'm jealous of your lower receiver markings btw! I actually came across BCP while searching for my parts, but my local dealer had such a good deal on Mega lowers, that I couldn't pass it up. Did you use a surplus upper?
    I did use a surplus upper receiver. The barrel assembly is from Windham Weaponry. I love their barrels. They are extremely accurate.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    I did use a surplus upper receiver. The barrel assembly is from Windham Weaponry. I love their barrels. They are extremely accurate.
    So far I'm pretty happy with my Windham barrel as well. Seems pretty accurate, and the asking price was very competitive. I tried to find surplus uppers, but it seems the ample supply of A2 parts has dried up. They used to be very common, but the only in stock and ready to ship A2 upper I found was at Fulton Armory. Not that I'm not happy with it, but I would have liked to have saved a few bucks by using surplus parts.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've foolishly allowed all my A2 type ARs slip away over the years.

This was the last one I had... real FN barrel and refurbished mil surplus upper receiver that was beat to hell.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've foolishly allowed all my A2 type ARs slip away over the years.

This was the last one I had... real FN barrel and refurbished mil surplus upper receiver that was beat to hell.

I'm in the same boat. My first AR15 was a used Colt A2 (built in 1990) that I re-sold, because I wanted something more modern.... Looking back, I really wish I kept that rifle! It was the smoothest shooting weapon, really fun to shoot. That looks like a nice build BTW, where did you find the FN barrel?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Update: I bought a TA11H-G, and mounted it to the carry handle, to which I installed a Trijicon killflash. When I went to sight it in at my local range, the thing was zeroed right out of the box! The eye relief of the TA11 is perfect for this gun, I really enjoyed shooting it tonight. Next on the list for this rifle, is a Larue MBT, which I ordered yesterday.

Last edited by Hammer_Man; 01-16-19 at 22:58.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast