Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M16 A2 Clone

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

M16 A2 Clone

First off I want to address what many of you may be asking, and that is why?? I have serious nostalgia for this weapon, as it is what I was issued in basic training, and my current Reserve unit still has these in their arms room. I've always enjoyed shooting the M16, as I like the sight picture, soft recoil impulse, and overall balance of the weapon. Are there more modern designs, sure there are, but I find the M16 a much more enjoyable weapon to shoot than the M4. When I started this build, I was a little discouraged by the lack of readily available parts, but after searching the internet I found the following pieces for my build:

-Fulton Armory upper (came fully assembled)
    -Windham Weaponry 20" govt. profile barrel
    -Windham Weaponry A2 flash hider, and crush washer
    -Windham Weaponry gas tube
    -Knights M5 RAS (eBay find, got it for a steal)
    -Knights vertical foregrip (clearance sale at Brownell's)
    -Colt Delta ring assembly
    -Colt M16 bcg
    -Colt lower parts kit
    -DPMS A2 stock kit (came with rifle spring and buffer)
    -Redi-Mag
    -Dbal A3 (robbed from my M4 build)

I bought a Mega forged "Gator" lower receiver from a local gun store (Ready Gunner, Orem Utah). I wanted this specific lower because of its' excellent fit and finish, and as an added bonus Ready Gunner had them marked 20% off. I apologize for the countertop pictures, but my phone doesn't take very good pictures outside. I test fired 40 rounds of Federal 55gr. through it, and as expected it performed flawlessly. This is now my favorite rifle, I'm genuinely excited to have it. I look forward to many, many trips downrange with it.

Last edited by Hammer_Man; 09-15-18 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    Very nice rifle .

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I like it! I personally have no use for it, but I really like to see other peoples stuff and can appreciate it! Looks like a solid shooter, let us know how it does!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BUTCHL556 View Post
    Very nice rifle .
    Thanks BUTCHL556!! I got a lot of compliments on it yesterday, and it's my favorite shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny256 View Post
    I like it! I personally have no use for it, but I really like to see other peoples stuff and can appreciate it! Looks like a solid shooter, let us know how it does!

Thanks for the kind words. I realize it's not considered cutting edge anymore, but there's something about these A2 rifles that tug at my heartstrings.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 09-16-18 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    It does look cool, if I had the funds I would have one in my collection for sure. Variety is the spice of life!

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny256 View Post
    It does look cool, if I had the funds I would have one in my collection for sure. Variety is the spice of life!

Variety is certainly nice, as I find this to be a nice change from the carbines that are so commonplace these days. Not to take anything away from carbines, as they have their place as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Shoot. I still love to shoot my A2/A3 Field sights out to 500 yards. I have the M5 RAS on a 16" dissipator type gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Shoot. I still love to shoot my A2/A3 Field sights out to 500 yards. I have the M5 RAS on a 16" dissipator type gun.
    That's part of the reason I built this, at least what I told myself to justify building it. I now have something similar to what my current unit issues, to practice with so I can qualify "expert" every time we go to the range. Ha Ha, in reality I just wanted to build it.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 09-18-18 at 07:38.

Feedback Score
    Looks nice. I went from a A2 to A4 and did not know the Army was putting the rails on the A2’s. Is that a common thing or unit specific?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific5th View Post
    Looks nice. I went from a A2 to A4 and did not know the Army was putting the rails on the A2’s. Is that a common thing or unit specific?
    I took poetic license with this one, because I have seen A2s in a weapons vault equipped with these rails, however I doubt they were ever taken downrange in that configuration. I have heard stories of A2s being equipped with KAC rails downrange, but my take is that it was not very common and most likely unit specific.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 09-19-18 at 21:57.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast