Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: M16 A2 Clone

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I remember when we got issued the fixed handle M4's back in 97-98 at Fort Hood, kinda funny but sometimes it feels like barely anyone knows that the original M4's were fixed and not railed 1913 flattops with a removable carry handle sight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FightinQ View Post
    I remember when we got issued the fixed handle M4's back in 97-98 at Fort Hood, kinda funny but sometimes it feels like barely anyone knows that the original M4's were fixed and not railed 1913 flattops with a removable carry handle sight.
    In 1984, Colt began work on a new carbine design called the XM4 combining the best features of the Colt Commando and later the M16A2 rifles.

In 1984, the first model was made, and it was tested in May 1985. The first models had an upper receiver with an A1 sight, and were given a shorter 11.5-inch barrel, but later ones were given a longer 14.5-inch barrel for the bayonet and the M203 Grenade Launcher. The second model was made in May 1986, and it was tested from May 1986 though May 1987; at the time it had an A2 Upper Sight, and it had the M16A2's 1:7 inch rifle twist, to use the heavier 62-grain M855 rounds. The extended barrel improved the XM4's ballistics, reduced muzzle blast and gave the XM4 the ability to mount a bayonet and the M203 grenade launcher. The XM4 was also given the cartridge deflector, as well as other minor refinements. In May 1991, the XM4 was renamed to the M4, and Colt made a manual.

The M4 was officially accepted into service by the U.S. military in 1994, and first saw action in the hands of U.S. troops deployed to Kosovo in 1999. Shortly after the M4 entered service, the carrying handle upper (A2) was ditched for the flat-top upper with M4 feedramps making it much more versatile for optics.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    If you search YouTube, there is a Colt promo video for the XM4. If I hadn't come across it, I would have never known. I want to build an XM4 clone to go along with my A2 rifle.

Edit: I think this is it...
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 01-25-19 at 17:59.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    In 1984, Colt began work on a new carbine design called the XM4 combining the best features of the Colt Commando and later the M16A2 rifles.

In 1984, the first model was made, and it was tested in May 1985. The first models had an upper receiver with an A1 sight, and were given a shorter 11.5-inch barrel, but later ones were given a longer 14.5-inch barrel for the bayonet and the M203 Grenade Launcher. The second model was made in May 1986, and it was tested from May 1986 though May 1987; at the time it had an A2 Upper Sight, and it had the M16A2's 1:7 inch rifle twist, to use the heavier 62-grain M855 rounds. The extended barrel improved the XM4's ballistics, reduced muzzle blast and gave the XM4 the ability to mount a bayonet and the M203 grenade launcher. The XM4 was also given the cartridge deflector, as well as other minor refinements. In May 1991, the XM4 was renamed to the M4, and Colt made a manual.

The M4 was officially accepted into service by the U.S. military in 1994, and first saw action in the hands of U.S. troops deployed to Kosovo in 1999. Shortly after the M4 entered service, the carrying handle upper (A2) was ditched for the flat-top upper with M4 feedramps making it much more versatile for optics.
    I may be wrong here, but the ramps were added because the carbine gas system was having issues feeding from the issued magazine. That's just me saying this so correct me please if I am wrong.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    If you search YouTube, there is a Colt promo video for the XM4. If I hadn't come across it, I would have never known. I want to build an XM4 clone to go along with my A2 rifle.

Edit: I think this is it...
    We need a like feature here. There has been a ton of posts of late that have been home runs from some of you.

Thanks for sharing to both you and Renegade.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I may be wrong here, but the ramps were added because the carbine gas system was having issues feeding from the issued magazine. That's just me saying this so correct me please if I am wrong.
    This is taken form a post that K.L. Davis made on M4Carbine.net back in 2006.

With the proliferation of the the carbine gas system, there did come some unique problems -- it is believed that with the M4, there are times when a cartridge being loaded is more "tip down" than normal, and that the bullet tip could strike the flat surface of the upper receiver, just below the standard rifle feedramp.

So, the ramps were extended down slightly, in order to catch these.

There is a suggestion that the use of heavier bullets also exacerbates any potential problem... this idea seems to have some weight (get it) -- and of course the use of soft or open tip ammunition can help make things snag.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    This is taken form a post that K.L. Davis made on M4Carbine.net back in 2006.

With the proliferation of the the carbine gas system, there did come some unique problems -- it is believed that with the M4, there are times when a cartridge being loaded is more "tip down" than normal, and that the bullet tip could strike the flat surface of the upper receiver, just below the standard rifle feedramp.

So, the ramps were extended down slightly, in order to catch these.

There is a suggestion that the use of heavier bullets also exacerbates any potential problem... this idea seems to have some weight (get it) -- and of course the use of soft or open tip ammunition can help make things snag.
    I'm being educated, bravo sir. So after reading what you wrote and pondering it some, do you think that this whole system was designed around a 55 FMJ going at one set of velocity from only one set of barrel length without any possibility of changes later on as both the needs and technology changes and or adapts? Very curious.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sigh. I think I may have to resort to purchasing this from Palmetto. Not a correct A2 but I can always purchase a surplus legit A2 beat to death by joe or jane stripped from the next gun show and have a project to do. I can always sell the MOE handguard and keep the A3 upper as a spare or gift it to a friend.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...g-handle1.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm being educated, bravo sir. So after reading what you wrote and pondering it some, do you think that this whole system was designed around a 55 FMJ going at one set of velocity from only one set of barrel length without any possibility of changes later on as both the needs and technology changes and or adapts? Very curious.
    I think that they were addressing issues for that time which was primarily directed towards M855 ammo. To me, it did not appear that M193 was an issue as it had been used with carbines (with uppers without feedramps) for several years with no issues.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sigh. I think I may have to resort to purchasing this from Palmetto. Not a correct A2 but I can always purchase a surplus legit A2 beat to death by joe or jane stripped from the next gun show and have a project to do. I can always sell the MOE handguard and keep the A3 upper as a spare or gift it to a friend.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...g-handle1.html
    I would highly recommend ditching that idea. What I suggest is to order this A2 Government Profile 20in Barrel Kit from Windham Weaponry and get the A2 upper receiver when you can.

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/kit-ba20gvt-7/

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast