Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on pistols for first buy.

Feedback Score

Feedback on pistols for first buy.

I’m looking for feedback on pistols before making the $500-$1,000 plunge. I do not know of any ranges near me that rent out pistols and most of my coworkers aren't pistol people. It's a Glock 43/Shield for most and the service pistol for everything else.

I’m looking for a do all pistol as my first buy and I want it in 9mm. I’m trained on the HK P2000 (LEM) and have familiarization on the Beretta M9 and to a lesser extent the Glock 19. I also shot a CZ P-01 once and liked it, but can’t remember much else about it. I carry my issued P2000 IWB because it’s free and I know what I’m doing with it. As such, all pistols will be compared to the HK P2000.

I have an estimated 3,000 .40 S&W put through my P2000 so the quarks (to me) of this HK I am trying to avoid. With the pinky extender floorplate, I get my whole hand on my P2000, but I have to remove my pinky to release and insert the magazine. I also pinch myself between the magazine and the frame. These characteristics are annoying. This puts me in the realm of a full size pistol frame. I LOVE the slide stop/release. It’s large and I have had zero issue with it in training. I also require a large magazine release. The P2000 has a small mag release that gets hard to use after a moderate time on the range. I am not allowed to modify my P2000, or I would have a larger mag release installed which would likely solve this problem.

I have no problems with switching from a lever release to button release as long as the button release is large enough to not modify my grip to reach it. I would like the ability to take 20+ round factory magazines with 15 round being the minimum. Optic capability would be preferred, but not required. You can have your pistol in any color you want, as long as it’s Black.

I have been to a local gun shops and the selection is decent. I got to hold a few different handguns and scratched off the HK USP and Glock 19 (too short grip); M9, PX4, M&P, P320 (have to change my grip to reach the mag release); P226 (too different from pistols I’m use to + same mag release problem).
    I was also able to hold a Walther Creed, which I was favorable to, but would like a more refined pistol. It’s a good feel (pun intended) for understanding Walther pistols. I also liked the VP9 and P30. Bigger versions of what I’m already used to. Lastly we had the M9A3 and FN 509 which both felt great.

I got to hold a Five-seveN as well. It’s too bad 5.7x28mm is so expensive, might have been a winner. Very nice feeling pistol in my hands and the safety didn’t bother me in the slightest, but I digress.

My LGS was does not stock CZ sadly. Sphinx SDP Duty would also be a good comparison. I would also like to try a Steyr M9 as I’ve read good things about it. If you’re wondering about the Glock 17, I had a brain fart and didn’t think about it, will try it when I go to a further store to try some CZs.

I’m throwing this out there to see if I’m missing anything from my list. CZ, HK, Beretta, Glock, S&W, Walther, Steyr, FN.

Thanks’ in advance.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Honestly, with you buying your first handgun, I would stick with something easy to resell because odds are it wont work exactly as you like.

In that case, I'd go with (1) Glock 17 or 19 Gen 5, (2) SIG P320C or Fullsize, or (3) M&P 2.0 series in 9MM.

All will hold their value well and considering you are likely Border Patrol carrying a P2000/40/LEM, you can get a Blue Label or LEO discount pricing, you won't take a bath if decide to sell.

Advantages of Glock are aftermarket parts and magazines from $15-20. Both the SIG & M&P have aftermarket parts too but not as vast and mags are in the $30-40 each ballpark.

I would steer clear of the Walther / Steyr / FNs until you can get some time behind one to ensure you'll like it - resale typically suffers for the standard 9MM offerings from all 3.

CZs are popular and I think they'll hold their value, but holster selection is harder and it might take longer to sell.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Based on your experience carrying a P2000, I think the P30 and VP9 (service size) would be the best options by far. Apart from LE discounts, CDNN has both of those for $499 last I checked.

Another decent option would be the Glock 19X, giving you the large grip and various Glock features with a slightly shorter slide for slightly easier carry.

CZ makes great pistols but I think the HK options are compelling given your situation. In CZ land, the P-09 would be closest to what you're asking for and have experience with. I love the CZ-75 series but the metal ones are rather heavy to carry, and I don't see a compelling reason for a polymer -75 compared to a P-09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Based on your experience carrying a P2000, I think the P30 and VP9 (service size) would be the best options by far. Apart from LE discounts, CDNN has both of those for $499 last I checked.

Another decent option would be the Glock 19X, giving you the large grip and various Glock features with a slightly shorter slide for slightly easier carry.

CZ makes great pistols but I think the HK options are compelling given your situation. In CZ land, the P-09 would be closest to what you're asking for and have experience with. I love the CZ-75 series but the metal ones are rather heavy to carry, and I don't see a compelling reason for a polymer -75 compared to a P-09.

I would second this. Since you are already experienced with the HK platform I would look seriously at the HK VP9 or HK P30. Another option would be a Walther PPQ or P99.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    The 19 with a Pearce +3 extension might be a viable option. With a Pearce extension you can bump it up to 18rds+1. Myself? My first Glock was the same size frame. G23Gen4 You can go down in caliber when converting. I got a Lone Wolf conversion barrel. You can also go .357Sig with that gun.

Feedback Score
    I went to a further store today to check out some CZ's and such. I found CZ's to be nice, but not being able to reach the slide release with my thumb killed them for me. The Glock 17 and 19X felt fine, but the controls just aren't for me.

I was able to get my hands on a Hudson H9 which was quite nice. Everything about it was perfect. I'll do some more research on it and add it to my list.

I'm leaning towards the safe path and stick w/ HK. Shoot the crap out of it, learn it, and further my preferences and in a few years upgrade to something else.

I would like to keep the conversation going and see what others have to say.

@NQNPIII: I'm uninteresting in caliber conversion and would like to stick w/ 9mm as a whole.

Feedback Score
    Big 3: Glock, Sig, S&W. Get a polymer striker fired gun in 9mm. Easy to shoot, easy to learn, easy to sell if needed.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to vote for HK VP9 or P30. Stick with what you know.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I suggest you compare the ubiquity of holsters, magazines, after-market and spare parts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LigerNoir View Post
    I went to a further store today to check out some CZ's and such. I found CZ's to be nice, but not being able to reach the slide release with my thumb killed them for me. The Glock 17 and 19X felt fine, but the controls just aren't for me.
    Been awhile since I have had a 75B, but from what I can recall the slide would drop when vigorously inserting magazines more often than not.

Went through a class that taught using the support hand the hit the magazine release and slide stop to negate the need for oversized parts or shifting the grip.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-27-18 at 08:23.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast