Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issues with Taclight and seeing through powder cloud

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    As mentioned earlier, movement is the best way to mitigate the issue. Light on, shoot, light off, move off the X, light back on. It takes just a bit of getting used to, but it will DRAMATICALLY help your lights work through the gunpowder and dust.
    While pigs don’t shoot back, this is the right answer. Probably not ideal for a hunting situation, but it’s good practice for when the swine take up arms.

Feedback Score
    This is 100% an issue of LED lights vs the old incandescent lights. The issue is that LED lights do not cut through the “smoke” like the old lights did. They bounce back. The phenomenon isn’t new per se, it’s just that not many folks see it. I’m a full time instructor for a very large Sheriff’s department, and I work swing shift. That’s important only because 80% of my shooting activity is done at night. Almost all of my training is “lowlight”. I shoot 100’s of rounds a week, most fired using a SF X300UB.
    As mentioned earlier, movement is the best way to mitigate the issue. Light on, shoot, light off, move off the X, light back on. It takes just a bit of getting used to, but it will DRAMATICALLY help your lights work through the gunpowder and dust.

Try it, and report back. I’m sure you’ll see a huge improvement.
    That was what I had done while hunting, after the illuminated powder cloud blinded me from seeing a very large pig sounder running downrange I took a few large side steps to the left and re-engaged, nailed one more pig before the sounder reached cover.

Thanks for the advice!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is 100% an issue of LED lights vs the old incandescent lights. The issue is that LED lights do not cut through the “smoke” like the old lights did. They bounce back. The phenomenon isn’t new per se, it’s just that not many folks see it. I’m a full time instructor for a very large Sheriff’s department, and I work swing shift. That’s important only because 80% of my shooting activity is done at night. Almost all of my training is “lowlight”. I shoot 100’s of rounds a week, most fired using a SF X300UB.

Try it, and report back. I’m sure you’ll see a huge improvement.
    That is a cool observation! As far as light waves go, they are all the same, so LED vs Incan. shouldn't make a bit of difference. The only difference between the two would be tint color. I wonder if that is what is making the difference? Incandescent light is usually warmer and most LED's for the best lumen output are cool white. You can get LED's in a high CRI tint (color rendition index), but it is usually custom or an option on only a few manufacturers lights. It would be cool to test out different tints to see if it makes a difference.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I wonder how that lime green tinted light from the laser Max Spartan would work here
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    That is a cool observation! As far as light waves go, they are all the same, so LED vs Incan. shouldn't make a bit of difference. The only difference between the two would be tint color. I wonder if that is what is making the difference? Incandescent light is usually warmer and most LED's for the best lumen output are cool white. You can get LED's in a high CRI tint (color rendition index), but it is usually custom or an option on only a few manufacturers lights. It would be cool to test out different tints to see if it makes a difference.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Natural part of shooting with a weapon light.. pistol, rifle... whatever. This is the main reason I run no lights mounted to pistols. With a rifle, we don't really have much choice.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by attila006 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed something similar at low light classes?
    Yes. 14.7 Barrel. BCM Gunfighter Muzzle Device. Streamlight Rail-Mount2. After a few shots of 55rn Remington UMC I would have to move to the side to see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12