Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SpecterDR 1x/4x or Aimpoint w/ Magnifier(3x/6x)?

Feedback Score

SpecterDR 1x/4x or Aimpoint w/ Magnifier(3x/6x)?

So I have been having issues concluding on what optics to go with on a 14.5" AR build. Now, I am not so much as a "collector". My firearms are more for protection/emergency preparedness. So I want to carry the least amount of firearms as possible. I decided on a 14.5 to get some range and deal in close proximities. My desired range to reach out to is around 500-800 yards with this build. So I would like input on optics I've listed in the title and have them reflect on my intention. Magnification for longer shots, and 1x/red dot for distances below 300 yards.

Battery Life and durability are both great on either and I don't mind the prices and weight. NVG compatibility is not a priority since I have an IR device to aim with. But I would like to shoot in somewhat low light conditions. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Why not an LPVO? 5-800m is really going to be stretching the 5.56 round. Depending on the target, 800m may not even be visible under 4x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Why not an LPVO? 5-800m is really going to be stretching the 5.56 round. Depending on the target, 800m may not even be visible under 4x.

True. I don't NEED 800 yards, but the yardage range I listed is just a sweet spot I'd like to stay in. I'd be happy with 500-600 yards. Plus, I am doing a 308 DMR build so I can leave the greater distance for that.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I like the Aimpoint. I am a big fan. I am also a fan of ELCAN. The one thing I don't really like is the Aimpoint with a magnifier. Maybe it is a personal thing. I know lots of people like the 3x and 6x magnifier, but it is bulky to me.

If you like 1x point and shoot, then the Aimpoint is your baby. If you like 1x, and want to move to 4x, then the SpecterDR is what you need.
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Why not an LPVO?
    Same question here.

Feedback Score
    Pointless to use an Aimpoint at 800m regardless of magnifier as you'll be doing one hell of a holdover at that distance...

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)

Yea.. and with a RDS w/2MOA dot I would consider him lucky lay down fire at 800m that would consistently hit a school bus. If my math is correct a 2MOA dot with a 6X magnifier covers covers 96 MOA at 800 yards.. That is eight feet. He might be better off shooting without the magnifier. My home/travel light rig wears an MRO but I live in an urban area where 200 yards would be a long shot. I cannot imagine defending myself from an advisory that far away. It would be all but impossible to ID a target that far away with either option he proposes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Yea.. and with a RDS w/2MOA dot I would consider him lucky lay down fire at 800m that would consistently hit a school bus. If my math is correct a 2MOA dot with a 6X magnifier covers covers 96 MOA at 800 yards.. That is eight feet. He might be better off shooting without the magnifier. My home/travel light rig wears an MRO but I live in an urban area where 200 yards would be a long shot. I cannot imagine defending myself from an advisory that far away. It would be all but impossible to ID a target that far away with either option he proposes.
    Magnifiers magnify the optic and target, so a 2 moa dot is 2 moa. At 800yds, thats 16”.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    EOTech and a magnifier over the Aimpoint combo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Magnifiers magnify the optic and target, so a 2 moa dot is 2 moa. At 800yds, thats 16”.
    Not with an Eotech. The center 1 MOA dot remains the same size regardless of magnification.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast