Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SpecterDR 1x/4x or Aimpoint w/ Magnifier(3x/6x)?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Magnifiers magnify the optic and target, so a 2 moa dot is 2 moa. At 800yds, thats 16”.
    You are correct. I stand corrected. In your experience what kind of resolution does the RDS and magnifier have a 800m?? Assuming the OP is capable of holding 2 MOA off of an improvised rest, has a 1 MOA rifle, shooting 1 MOA ammunition without the ability to range the target. If he shot a hundred rounds at an IPSC target at 800 how many times do you think he would cut paper??? My bet would be... Not too many and the ones that he did hit where luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    You are correct. I stand corrected. In your experience what kind of resolution does the RDS and magnifier have a 800m?? Assuming the OP is capable of holding 2 MOA off of an improvised rest, has a 1 MOA rifle, shooting 1 MOA ammunition without the ability to range the target. If he shot a hundred rounds at an IPSC target at 800 how many times do you think he would cut paper??? My bet would be... Not too many and the ones that he did hit where luck.
    I dont know, ive taken rds to 450 and thats as far as Id be comfortable with holdovers. Even at that distance, I had a specific zero to make it work, still had to walk it to center of target. Never used a magnifier.

I think a good shooter could get repeatable hits on a stationary target, but the practical question for me is, how many rounds to get a hit in an unknown distance target?

Im not a long range expert though- just sharing my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Not with an Eotech. The center 1 MOA dot remains the same size regardless of magnification.
    So if you put a 24x scope in front the dot is 1/24 moa? Thats 0.04” at 100yds.
    How does everything else get optically magnified, but EOtech defies physics?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-06-18 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    So if you put a 24x scope in front the dot is 1/24 moa? Thats 0.04” at 100yds.
    How does everything else get optically magnified, but EOtech defies physics?
    http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic...-red-dot-sight

Feedback Score
    Poor wording. The dot is not 1 moa, its like .25 moa so when magnified, you cannot percieve the magnification of it until about 4x. Couple posts throughout but PA explans it about 3 posts from the bottom:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Eo...G33/18-560021/
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-08-18 at 07:53. Reason: Edited for clarity

Feedback Score
    ^The actual size of the center dot is 10 micron but the human eye perceives it at 1 moa, even when magnified.
    Last edited by mebiuspower; 10-07-18 at 07:39.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    ^The actual size of the center dot is 10 micron but the human eye perceives it at 1 moa, even when magnified.
    Every single red dot when magnified retains its relative size to the target.

MOA is a unit of measurement, nothing more. 1/60th of 1 degree of a 360 degree circle.

With a magnifier, everything is magnified. An Aimpoint with a 2 MOA dot will still be 2 MOA with a magnifier, because in relation to the also-magnified target, nothing has changed.

Feedback Score
    Except Eotech is not a "red dot". The science behind holography is much more complicated than that.
    Last edited by mebiuspower; 10-07-18 at 08:15.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Except Eotech is not a "red dot".
    You are savagely ****ing retarded and are being purposefully obtuse.

Stand in one place, and draw a circle around you. Divide that circle into 365 degrees. Of those 365 degrees, take one and split it in to 60 equal parts. Those 60 equal parts, or “minutes” of one angle, are a relative unit of measurement in relation to a known starting point.

This is why (incorrectly) people state that 1 MOA = 1” @ 100 yards, because roughly 1/60th of 1 degree has widened to that point at 100 yards. That minute continues to relatively widen as it travels further from the point of origin.

Something that is measured as 1 MOA and is magnified in addition to the world around it is still 1 MOA. The size of the magnified objects have not changed their physical size in relation to you, just that magnifier has made your field of view appear larger. No more or less of the target is obscured, it’s just now more visible. Everything in the FOV of the magnifier appears larger to the naked eye, but none of their measured sizes have physically changed.
    Last edited by GTF425; 10-07-18 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    You are savagely ****ing retarded and are being purposefully obtuse.

Stand in one place, and draw a circle around you. Divide that circle into 365 degrees. Of those 365 degrees, take one and split it in to 60 equal parts. Those 60 equal parts, or “minutes” of one angle, are a relative unit of measurement in relation to a known starting point.

This is why (incorrectly) people state that 1 MOA = 1” @ 100 yards, because roughly 1/60th of 1 degree has widened to that point at 100 yards. That minute continues to relatively widen as it travels further from the point of origin.

Something that is measured as 1 MOA and is magnified in addition to the world around it is still 1 MOA. The size of the magnified objects have not changed their physical size in relation to you, just that magnifier has made your field of view appear larger. No more or less of the target is obscured, it’s just now more visible. Everything in the FOV of the magnifier appears larger to the naked eye, but none of their measured sizes have physically changed.
    I guess you didn't read my previous post, so I'll post it again.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    I guess you didn't read my previous post, so I'll post it again.
    Every single thing in the world, holographic sight or not, retains its original measurable size when magnified in relation to the FOV.

Nothing measurably grows or shrinks when magnified. It just appears relatively larger, and EVERYTHING in the FOV appears larger.

EOTech haven’t defied physics, literally every Aimpoint/Holosun/C-More sight you slap a magnifier behind will retain its original reticle size in relation to the also-magnified target.
    Last edited by GTF425; 10-07-18 at 08:35.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast