View Poll Results: If you were deployed to a combat zone, which can (and muzzle device) would you want?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dead Air Sandman-S

8 12.50%
  • Dead Air Sandman-K

9 14.06%
  • SilencerCo Saker ASR 556

1 1.56%
  • SilencerCo Saker ASR 556K

2 3.13%
  • OSS HX-QD 556

3 4.69%
  • OSS HX-QD 556K

1 1.56%
  • Surefire SOCOM556-RC2

22 34.38%
  • Surefire SOCOM556-MINI2

9 14.06%
  • KAC QDC

5 7.81%
  • KAC QDC CQB

4 6.25%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 Combat Suppressor Poll

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not really. It's probably some coding thing.

We've been running a bunch of Pappabears Sig cans, and they're pretty impressive... 338, 30 cal, 5.56.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I pick the new flavor of the month called the Energetic Vox-S. Uses a material called C300 Maraging which you can read about below. Direct thread or Dead Air Key Mo. Wipes. 30cal, full auto, no barrel restrictions. Pretty badass if you ask me.

https://energeticarms.com/vox-centerfire-silencer/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I don't think suppressors should be issued widely for general combat usage, specialized use they do serve a purpose. Couple of reasons are combat is a noisy business, what do you gain suppressing individual rifles? Sound is only one signature, a hot can is going to really stand out in thermal sights like a near peer enemy will have and that signature is persistent, it does not go away the minute you stop shooting. IMO money would be better used giving every solider active hearing protection.
    Active hearing protection does not

- reduce muzzle flash
    - reduce the dust signature that can block / hinder seeing the target

Hearing damage and tinnitus are number 1 and 2 most common reasons for new compensations paid to U.S. servicemen and women. They are also the all time top 1-2 in total number of compansation recipients.

This according to the 2016 report by U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Similar figures can be seen elsewhere in the world.

Yes, suppressors cost money and have their +/- features

I am not saying all hearing damage claims could be removed with suppressors, but many have issues caused by their personal weapon/weapons,.

Many militaries who issue them for SOF can easily find out the experiences and apply them then into conventional side use

How much does it cost to?

- To train a soldier or law enforcement officer during his career

- How much does it cost not only in money, but loss in capability/knowledge if the same person is moved to other role from operations due to the disability or permanently retired due to it?

- How much does it then cost to pay him/her the compensations after retirement? Not to mention the quality of life for someone with permanent tinnitus.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post

- reduce muzzle flash

Hearing damage and tinnitus are number 1 and 2 most common reasons for new compensations paid to U.S. servicemen and women. They are also the all time top 1-2 in total number of compansation recipients.

This according to the 2016 report by U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Similar figures can be seen elsewhere in the world.

I am not saying all hearing damage claims could be removed with suppressors, but many have issues caused by their personal weapon/weapons,.

Many militaries who issue them for SOF can easily find out the experiences and apply them then into conventional side use

- How much does it cost not only in money, but loss in capability/knowledge if the same person is moved to other role from operations due to the disability or permanently retired due to it?

- How much does it then cost to pay him/her the compensations after retirement? Not to mention the quality of life for someone with permanent tinnitus.
    You are making my point that active hearing protection is needed. A soldiers personal weapon is not the only noise maker on the battlefield and not the loudest by any means. Muzzle flash and dust are handled quite well by the A2. I like suppressors, I just don't think every swinging d@ck on the battlefield needs one, and give one to a snuffy and hearing safe or not he is likely to stop using his ear pro.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post

- reduce muzzle flash

You are making my point that active hearing protection is needed. A soldiers personal weapon is not the only noise maker on the battlefield and not the loudest by any means. Muzzle flash and dust are handled quite well by the A2. I like suppressors, I just don't think every swinging d@ck on the battlefield needs one, and give one to a snuffy and hearing safe or not he is likely to stop using his ear pro.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Most, if not all, Soldiers that are issued suppressors are also issued Sordins or Peltors. Also, A2’s still kick up dust when your @&$# is really in the dirt.

Edit: if it hasn’t been said yet, the biggest value for cans in the Mil are to aid in not giving away your position.
    Last edited by 1168; 09-20-18 at 08:25. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I don't think suppressors should be issued widely for general combat usage, specialized use they do serve a purpose. Couple of reasons are combat is a noisy business, what do you gain suppressing individual rifles? Sound is only one signature, a hot can is going to really stand out in thermal sights like a near peer enemy will have and that signature is persistent, it does not go away the minute you stop shooting. IMO money would be better used giving every solider active hearing protection.
    Watch a squad assault range with and then without cans. Huge difference. Internal comms improved, SA improved, as well as other issues. I was apprehensive about this as well until I saw it, and all for it now. You bring up a decent point with signature, pros and cons with anything. This would not be very high on my list of concerns in a squad though.

Still waiting on how they're gonna keep some lance coconut from laying his can on his leg and ending up in bas.

S/F
    Ryan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    I pick the new flavor of the month called the Energetic Vox-S. Uses a material called C300 Maraging which you can read about below. Direct thread or Dead Air Key Mo. Wipes. 30cal, full auto, no barrel restrictions. Pretty badass if you ask me.

https://energeticarms.com/vox-centerfire-silencer/
    Thanks, your reply caused me to go down a week-long rabbit hole of suppressor construction. I think the Vox is my new favorite.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    Thanks, your reply caused me to go down a week-long rabbit hole of suppressor construction. I think the Vox is my new favorite.
    Can you educate me on your rationale, please?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Can you educate me on your rationale, please?
    I assume you mean why I like the Vox? If you just look at the specs, it’s clear that what they’re working with is special. C300 Maraging has more tensile strength at 1,000 degrees F than stainless steel or titanium do at room temperature. In short, this can ain’t breakin. The material is also lightweight and has a thinner outer profile, which allows for more internal baffles. I believe The Wound Channel weighed it at around 15 ounces?

Additionally, due to the construction it has no minimum barrel length requirement and is of course full auto rated.

Edit: ALSO it uses already excellent and popular mounting systems like the Dead Air Keymo.
    Last edited by BallisticHarmony; 09-24-18 at 12:37.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast