Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a flat, straight Glock trigger? Pull up a chair and come inside.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Looking for a flat, straight Glock trigger? Pull up a chair and come inside.

I was intrigued by the whole flat, straight Glock trigger thing when they first started hitting the market. I started on a journey of sorts that has turned into a bit of an obsession.

I started with the Agency Arms trigger ($150).

Then got a (v1) Suarez International trigger ($100).

I then added a Deus Ex Machina trigger ($125).

The SI and DEM triggers had much better "feel" than the Agency. The pre-travel was nonexistent, overtravel was short and the reset was nice and crisp. The Agency felt a lot like a stock trigger only flat. The little hook on the bottom did make consistency in finger placement a no brainer, but I was on a quest for as 1911-ish a trigger as I could get in a Glock.

That's when I learned about the drop safety issues some people were experiencing with the flat triggers. So I started testing that too. Low-and-behold, both the SI and DEM triggers failed the drop safety tests. I'm not talking failed every once-in-a-while. I'm talking failed 2-4 out of 5 drops.

It should be noted that I tested each trigger in both Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks, with the factory connectors, Ghost connectors (original 3.5# and Edge 3.5#), and OEM "-" connectors, and with OEM springs and Ghost spring kits installed (6# striker springs). I was dropping the guns from waist height on to a carpeted, concrete basement floor, trying to land on the beavertail area.

The Agency trigger had no safety issues whatsoever. The only (and apparently critical) difference being that the Agency trigger didn't remove as much pre-travel as the other two. So, safety and ergonomics made the Agency my #1 pick, but then my curiosity got the better of me.

I tried a friend's IDP Tactical flat trigger ($85). It felt good but failed the drop tests. They have since released a "version 2" that is supposed to address the issue. I have NOT tested it.

Then SI released their "v2" triggers, so I got the "Tactical" model (Again, $100). It felt just like the "v1" trigger, and failed the drop safety test just like the "v1" trigger. They have since changed the "v2" trigger bar a bit (so really a "v3" now), but I have NOT tested that one either.

Then came the Apex trigger ($100).

I've used Apex triggers in M&Ps pretty extensively, so I was pretty confident that it would work AND be safe. I was right. It did work, and it is safe. The prevailing theme being that it still has a good amount of pre-travel, and the overtravel and reset feel pretty close to stock.

Then someone pointed me towards another flat trigger offering from GlockKraft. Their original flat trigger (designed with input from Robar) was called the Defensive Applications Trigger (DAT). It looked interesting, so I contacted them about purchasing one. One of the main dudes over there pinged me back to inform me that the DAT was undergoing a cosmetic design change, and he asked me if I'd like to try out their new "Tactical" version ($135) instead. Pffft. Duh! I am way too far down the flat trigger road to turn back now!

FULL DISCLOSURE: I originally provided my CC info to GlockKraft to pay for the trigger, but they (purposely) never charged me. They said they appreciated my feedback during my testing and decided not to charge me for the trigger.

The GlockKraft trigger does have a bit less pre-travel than the others. It is not a lot less, but it is noticeable for those paying attention. Overtravel is also a tiny bit less. I was worried that they might be riding the ragged edge of safety, but it did pass all of my drop tests without failing once.

GK caught some grief on their Instagram account for copying the look of the Agency trigger but, really, how many different ways can you make a flat, straight Glock trigger look? I think they look different enough, but YMMV, opinions are like a$$holes, etc.

So... I think at this point I have tried every major player in the flat, straight Glock trigger market EXCEPT for the Innovative Gunfighter Solutions trigger and the GlockWorks original DAT trigger. I'll probably get one of each to try at some point, but my wallet needs some time to cool off before taking that plunge.

Anyway. Of all the ones that I've tried, the GlockKraft, Agency and Apex are my top three, and the only ones that failed to fail (Heh. See what I did there?) my drop tests. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. The GlockKraft has the shortest trigger travel, the Apex has the widest face and the Agency is just a damned good trigger (feel and function).

Feedback Score
    Do any of these reduce the reach? IOW, would these help people with smaller hands? Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by momano View Post
    Do any of these reduce the reach? IOW, would these help people with smaller hands? Thanks
    I would have to measure that, but just based on my recollections (sitting at the office currently), the Agency and GlockKraft might have a little shorter LOP than the factory trigger. I do think that the Apex has a bit longer LOP than stock, or maybe it just "feels" that way based on how your finger sits on the face, the width of the face (it's the widest of my top three), etc. I've had a few different people try it, and the first thing they mentioned is how they liked the finger placement.

As a side note: Since I mentioned the width of the Apex trigger it is also worth mentioning that it is the only flat Glock trigger that I have tested that will NOT fit in a G42 (as per Apex). It fits in every other Glock, including the G43, but it is too wide to fit the trigger hole in the G42 frame. All the other triggers tested will fit the G42 with the appropriate trigger bar, of course.
    Last edited by BlahBlah; 10-27-15 at 12:17.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you had to pick one between GK and Apex, which would you choose? Have you noticed any increase in accuracy?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sasage View Post
    If you had to pick one between GK and Apex, which would you choose? Have you noticed any increase in accuracy?

I have noticed that my accuracy (maybe consistency would be a better word choice) has improved with the flat triggers in general. I've been switching triggers frequently, though, so I couldn't say if one was inherently more accurate than another for me.

If you're looking for a flat/straight trigger with the shortest pre-travel and overtravel that is still safe, the GlockKraft is it. It's hard to ignore the Apex, though. It has a very nice tactile "feel" to it, and the price difference is obvious.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yea. I might be tempted to try both. I just read the GK v2 won't be shipping until early Nov.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I just installed the Apex trigger in my G19 the other day and it does feel like the LOP is longer. However, that easily could be because it is a wide trigger. One thought I had about the Apex trigger is since it is flat faced and wide would it change the so called Glock trigger effect of shooting left. A lot of people adjust their rear sights to the right to counter it. I have small hands and the last pad of my index finger sits right on the face of the Apex trigger. When I was dry firing my G19 the other night after installing the Apex I noticed that my front sight was jumping a touch to the right as the striker let loose. I had to really concentrate to keep it steady. While doing so this popped into my mind.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why the popularity of flat triggers lately? Is there a perceived advantage, or is it just user preference?
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Excellent post. Thanks for the info.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Order an SSVI Tyr and test it out for everyone.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast