Thread: China to operate port at Haifa

Feedback Score

China to operate port at Haifa

Is there any truth to this?

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.pre...rael-1.6470527

I could write a book about the many ways this is a very bad idea.
    Last edited by grnamin; 09-18-18 at 14:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive seen several pieces on this, a couple of them try to make it seem as if this was merely a business deal and the folks conducting the deal really didn't have any idea of the ramifications to US-Israeli relations:

.....At the University of Haifa’s Workshop on Future of Maritime Security in the Eastern Mediterranean conference at the end of August, Shaul Chorev, reservist brigadier general of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), former navy chief of staff, and chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, said a new mechanism was required to keep an eye on Chinese investments in Israel.....

....Chorev and his colleagues warned that Israel lacked a process to analyze economic investments for its national security implications, and must rapidly develop one.,,,,
    https://www.newsweek.com/chinese-dea...ations-1121780

I'm not so sure I'd buy that 'Israel lacked a process to analyze economic investments for its national security implications' based on this release:

".....It (the Chinese firm) is bringing its capabilities to the port's development, and it will of course strengthen the relations between China and Israel. And I am happy for that," Israeli Transport and Intelligence Minister Yisrael Katz told Xinhua after the signing ceremony....

....Calling himself a pioneer in strengthening Israel-China relations, Katz said the SIPG's multi-billion-dollar investment plan to turn Haifa's new port into an international cargo center is "an expression of confidence in the State of Israel on the part of a superpower."
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...e-port-at-Haif

Granted, there is every possibility that this deal was made without any thought to the ramifications, But, I find it hard to believe that the Israeli Transport and Intelligence Minister had no clue. This is from wiki on Katz:

Yisrael Katz (Hebrew: ישראל כץ‎, born 21 September 1955) is an Israeli politician who currently serves as a member of the Knesset for Likud, as the Minister of Transportation and the Minister of Intelligence and as member of the Security Cabinet of Israel.

I think that although President Trump has not given the Israeli's any reason to doubt that he is a friend to the current Israeli Government, there are Israeli concerns about the long term relationship.

During the Cold War Russia armed the enemies of Israel and acted on behalf of those enemies.

So if you aren't sure of your current superpower buddy 1) remaining a superpower; or 2) remaining your buddy. what do you do?
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-18-18 at 15:58.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Just in case anyone had any doubts, there is so such thing as a private Chinese company. They all exist at the whim of their government, making them an extended arm of said gov.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grnamin View Post
    Just in case anyone had any doubts, there is no so such thing as a private Chinese company. They all exist at the whim of their government, making them an extended arm of said gov.

FIFY

And anyone who is anyone from middle management up is in the communist party.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    FIFY

And anyone who is anyone from middle management up is in the communist party.
    Can't get anywhere until you are card-carrying. They don't leave home without it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I could write a book about the many ways this is a very bad idea.
    Reminded me of this . . .

(note this was published twelve years ago)
    Most U.S. Port Terminals Are Foreign-Run

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5234177
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I think it's a matter of national security that all our ports are managed by us and us alone.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think it's a matter of national security that all our ports are managed by us and us alone.
    I agree. I can't imagine why Israel would let China or a Chinese company do this for the reasons already mentioned.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The Norwegians sold a $500 million submarine base for $5 million to a conglomerate that now rents the base out to Gazprom (which is owned and operated by the Russian government). Link.

So it's not that crazy for Israel to let China operate a port.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -