Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What buffer for full auto mid-length carbine?

Feedback Score

What buffer for full auto mid-length carbine?

I'm in the process of converting my M16A1 from fixed stock configuration to a mid-length carbine configuration. I'm going to preserve the original components (minus the lower of course). What buffer should I use with a mid-length barrel when shooting full? Would I be correct to assume that the buffer springs should all be the same?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I'm in the process of converting my M16A1 from fixed stock configuration to a mid-length carbine configuration. I'm going to preserve the original components (minus the lower of course). What buffer should I use with a mid-length barrel when shooting full? Would I be correct to assume that the buffer springs should all be the same?
    I've run a 16mid quite well on a FA lower with an H2, if you have that handy. If you're buying parts, I suggest getting an A5.

Feedback Score
    OK, I'm ignorant. I've heard of carbine, H1, H2 and H3, but not A5. What does A5 mean?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OK, I'm ignorant. I've heard of carbine, H1, H2 and H3, but not A5. What does A5 mean?
    It’s an intermediate length receiver extension, A M16 rifle action spring, and a Vltor A5 buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    IIf you're buying parts, I suggest getting an A5.
    Without quesion.

How the hell can you have been on this forum since 2007 and not heard of the A5?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...92#post2632292
    Last edited by titsonritz; 06-21-18 at 21:23.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    How the hell can you have been on this forum since 2007 and not heard of the A5?
    Because I don't fix crap that ain't broken. I have about 15 AR-15's. I've only ever had one that had an issue with cycling. It was short stroking sometimes due to being undergassed. I was able to get it to run reliably by installing a semiauto bolt carrier. Not an ideal fix, but it runs 100%. I'm not saying that all of my AR-15's are running ideally, but they're fine with me so long as they are reliable. In the case of this change of my M16A1 to carbine configuration, I'd like to make sure that I've got more of an ideal setup as I have to buy most of the parts anyway.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Standard H2 or get an A5H3.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score

Stick with h2 if your heart is set on milspec, otherwise i would get a vltor a-5 system man, i have it on most my rifles and absolutely love how it feels when it shoots, has a unique smooth impulse and overall has great benefits and not really any draw backs

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Cool. Just found this thread. So my take away is y’all are liking the A5H3 for full auto. I’m switching a 10.3 upper onto it dedicated unsuppressed. What spring? Factory or SC green?
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The A5H2 or A5H3 is probably the best default buffer setup for everything.

A shorty upper that is dedicated suppressed should have appropriate Gas Drive.

Proper Gas Drive can be accomplished with a small port in the barrel, a port insert, an adjustable gas block, or an adjustable carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Cool. Just found this thread. So my take away is y’all are liking the A5H3 for full auto. I’m switching a 10.3 upper onto it dedicated unsuppressed. What spring? Factory or SC green?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast