Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cutting 16” DPMS to 14.88”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Seems like false economy to pay $$ to cut/pin a barrel with 5000 rounds on it. Also be advised the 4 prong Surefire's run 2-3 times the cost of the 3 prong due to supply and demand.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    This. Outside of autistic clonefags, the SF4P is a downgrade from the 3P.

Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Seems like false economy to pay $$ to cut/pin a barrel with 5000 rounds on it. Also be advised the 4 prong Surefire's run 2-3 times the cost of the 3 prong due to supply and demand.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    That is a real good point. If you want to make a custom build then you may want to look at getting a new barrel and then cut it.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    DPMS is a mile away from the TDP. That said, if you have one that's run good for you, 5k isn't a lot of rounds. And there's no chance of being under gassed... even chopped and without the can. What you want to do will probably work. If anything, you may end up needing a little heavier buffer.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I’m looking for some help before I come up with a final solution. I
    Sounds like you need my 2005 circa 16” Del-Ton Special Edition barrel.... with custom paint job.
    I mean when I think of “The Final Solution” in a non November-Foxtrot way, I immediately think of my 16” Del-Ton barrel. You should too.

Did I mention it’s a Special Edition with custom paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Slow day at work today or what?

You should quit your day job and write comedy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A carbine gas 16" can be cut to 14" without changing the gas port.

Consider threading 5/8-24 if a compatible muzzle device can be had.

Consider the cost of a new (or even lightly used) barrel in the configuration you want vs the cost of cutting and threading.

Decide if you want to make a clone or not, and just do what makes you happy with the muzzle device.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    What’s wrong with DPMS? My cousin carried one as a contractor in Iraq and never had any issues.

Edit: also, sir, not all of us are privileged with a good job. I work long hours in the phosphate mines and while it doesn’t pay well, it’s the best I can do. At least I’m not jobless. I’d get a second job but I spend a lot of my off time building crosses for the locals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My thoughts... How much will it cost to cut, crown and thread your $150 used barrel? I would also worry about losing the the larger diameter flange on the skinny barrel.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Not sure if this is slow day trolling or not so we'll indulge it. The last thing I would do is take a DPMS barrel and spend any amount of money cutting it down, pinning and welding or anything else.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast