Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock and loctite

Feedback Score
    So trijicon contacted me and told me to use green loctite 290 instead. So I am gonna try that. Do you apply it just like regular loctite a little on the thread then install? It says to use green 290 on pre assembled screws.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde777 View Post
    So trijicon contacted me and told me to use green loctite 290 instead. So I am gonna try that. Do you apply it just like regular loctite a little on the thread then install? It says to use green 290 on pre assembled screws.
    Green loctite 290 is a 'wicking' thread locker - it will seep through the threads via capilary action and sets. Red and Blue are 'anaerobic' threadlockers - they will set in the absence of air as they fill the voids between the threads on tightened fasteners.

According to the data shee t'green' sets via the same action - The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration. The product can also fillporosity in welds, castings and powdered metal parts.

Also on the data sheet: For Assembly 1. For Blind Holes, apply several drops of the product down the internal threads to the bottom of the hole

Notice this says 'for assembly' versus 'for pre-assembled threaded parts with through hole' - I read someplace else the the green IS NOT recommended for use on PRE-ASSEMBLED THREADED PARTS IN BLIND HOLES

www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/93808_290EN.pdf

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-24-18 at 16:02.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I don’t think there is going to be an issue. I use blue loctite for all of my sight installs. They’ll sit over night and then off to the range the next morning. No issues with lubrication affecting the thread locker.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde777 View Post
    last night I redid the front sights on my glocks and everything was good so this morning I was gonna take them out to go shooting so I was cleaning it and someone knocked over my clp onto the slide and spilled all over the slide. Is it possible for the clp to affect the red loctite in the sight since it hasn't been 24 hours yet to dry all the way?

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I installed the Ameriglo sight with JB weld about 3 years ago on my G19 and recently noticed it has become loose. The screw was as tight as when I installed it but the sight will twist side to side. It appears the oval hole in the slide is bigger than the siiht base. That is why I used JB weld to begin with. If JB Weld won't hold I don't what will.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Loctite sells a few greens.

The 290 is between the blue and the red. Make sure you get that one and not one of the bearing and stud retaining formulas.

The funny thing is I use the low strength pink on my Glock front sights and have never had one come off.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    I installed the Ameriglo sight with JB weld about 3 years ago on my G19 and recently noticed it has become loose. The screw was as tight as when I installed it but the sight will twist side to side. It appears the oval hole in the slide is bigger than the siiht base. That is why I used JB weld to begin with. If JB Weld won't hold I don't what will.
    An update of my previous post.
    I removed the sight and cleaned up any trace of the JB Weld, I then reinstalled the sight and tightened the screw. With the screw as tight as I felt was safe without breaking it I could still twist the sight easily side to side in the slide. I removed the sight and screwed the screw screw into it as tight as before and I could see a slight gap between the sight tenon and the screw head.
    Because the threads on the screw are not formed all the way to the bottom of the screw head is the reason for the gap. My solution was to use a drill bit slightly bigger than the screw hole and by hand cut a slight taper in the hole there by removing the first 1 or 2 threads. After that the screw head would pull up flush with the sight tenon. I reinstalled the sight and I could no longer twist it side to side.
    To address the issue of the sight tenon being slightly narrower than the slot in the slide I used a strip of aluminum foil placed over the slot and then put the sight in place. That took up the side to side looseness. I then installed the screw with blue Loctite and all is good.
    Last edited by P2Vaircrewman; 12-05-18 at 11:13.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12