Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A bit of good news for Colt...

Feedback Score

A bit of good news for Colt...

From today's DoD contract announcements:

Colt's Manufacturing Co. LLC, West Hartford, Connecticut, was awarded a $57,722,819 firm-fixed-price Foreign Military Sales (Jordan, Morocco, Afghanistan, Senegal, Tunisia and Pakistan) contract for procurement of up to 10,000 additional M4 and M4A1 5.56mm carbine rifles. One bid was solicited with one bid received. Work will be performed in West Hartford, Connecticut, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 20, 2019. Fiscal 2018 foreign military sales funds in the amount of $57,722,819 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Warren, Michigan, is the contracting activity (W56HZV-18-F-0115).

Evidently there were no other bidders for this contract?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm all for the health of Colt but procurement of up to 10,000 additional M4 and M4A1 5.56mm carbine rifles at $57,722,819 comes out to $5,772ish per rifle.

Do these contracts generally include spares, mags, etc.?

If not, that isn't good news for those of us who expect our tax dollars to be used wisely.

I probably don't understand, so I'll look for the source document.

ETA: found the story: https://dod.defense.gov/News/Contrac...ticle/1641072/ Searched under the contract number and found nothing. Could someone who has knowledge of how these things work give me the skinny on why it apparently breaks down to over 5,000 a rifle?

Thanks.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-20-18 at 18:11.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Maybe it includes parts replacement/wear items over a period of time. Possibly magazines and training?

Feedback Score
    I thought Trump put Pakistan on our military sales shit-list? Or was that just outright $$$ to them that was cut?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Doesn’t 7n6 have a thread about this?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I'm all for the health of Colt but procurement of up to 10,000 additional M4 and M4A1 5.56mm carbine rifles at $57,722,819 comes out to $5,772ish per rifle.

I think they usually do, which is one of the reasons it's difficult to compare retail prices to government purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Doesn’t 7n6 have a thread about this?

Feedback Score
    Think of it as an addition onto an existing contract, done as a "group buy" with different line items on the "menu." Countries pony up dollars and they can select all kinds of line items to go along that could be spares, tech support, special tool-sets, consumables, etc. TACOM in MI administers the contract; these are export-controlled so countries can't go direct. The major end-item ("the gun") is likely to not be the only thing covering the full scope of the contract so, yeah, the math almost never works unless you can see all the delivery orders.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

If not, that isn't good news for those of us who expect our tax dollars to be used wisely.
    Foreign military sales is just that - sales - so it’s likely those countries are spending their own money, as opposed to us. There are exceptions, as I’ll explain below, but this is probably an example of several countries that approached the U.S. government asking to purchase M4s, and the government lumped them into one contract that was awarded to Colt.

These programs are all inclusive, so the cost per unit covers everything from contract development to manufacturing and testing, to shipment overseas, and finally training for the end user and maybe a 10-year maintenance plan that covers all parts. Often a large batch of repair parts is tacked on to the contract that adds a large lump sum to the overall price.

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I thought Trump put Pakistan on our military sales shit-list? Or was that just outright $$$ to them that was cut?
    The President cut Pakistan’s Coalition Support Fund (CSF), which is a security assistance fund that reimbursed Pakistan for the security operations that they conduct along the Afghan border. The Pakistanis provide a yearly report (almost like receipts) detailing the cost of their operations (fuel, food, ammunition, etc.) to justify the reimbursement, and we reimburse them for up to $300 million per year. The President cut that fund due to our assessment that they were failing to effectively control the Taliban, Haqqani Network, and other groups along the border.

Pakistan received several types of assistance from us. We give them some Foreign Military Financing (FMF), which is essentially like a grant that they can spend to purchase military equipment from us. A lot of that (if not all) has been cut over the past couple years. However, they also purchase some equipment outright from us, with their own military budget, which I believe is how they procure small arms like this. I worked on some of those programs but don’t recall how they got M4s specifically. Their special operations troops have been using them for 5-10 years now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    Foreign military sales is just that - sales - so it’s likely those countries are spending their own money, as opposed to us. There are exceptions, as I’ll explain below, but this is probably an example of several countries that approached the U.S. government asking to purchase M4s, and the government lumped them into one contract that was awarded to Colt.

These programs are all inclusive, so the cost per unit covers everything from contract development to manufacturing and testing, to shipment overseas, and finally training for the end user and maybe a 10-year maintenance plan that covers all parts. Often a large batch of repair parts is tacked on to the contract that adds a large lump sum to the overall price.

The President cut Pakistan’s Coalition Support Fund (CSF), which is a security assistance fund that reimbursed Pakistan for the security operations that they conduct along the Afghan border. The Pakistanis provide a yearly report (almost like receipts) detailing the cost of their operations (fuel, food, ammunition, etc.) to justify the reimbursement, and we reimburse them for up to $300 million per year. The President cut that fund due to our assessment that they were failing to effectively control the Taliban, Haqqani Network, and other groups along the border.

Pakistan received several types of assistance from us. We give them some Foreign Military Financing (FMF), which is essentially like a grant that they can spend to purchase military equipment from us. A lot of that (if not all) has been cut over the past couple years. However, they also purchase some equipment outright from us, with their own military budget, which I believe is how they procure small arms like this. I worked on some of those programs but don’t recall how they got M4s specifically. Their special operations troops have been using them for 5-10 years now.
    Thank you for that explanation. Great info.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Doubling down on the above post - thanks for taking the time to fill us in.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast