Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of PMAGs cracking open when hot?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Anyone heard of PMAGs cracking open when hot?

I recently took a carbine course at Valor Ridge, and while Reid and I were discussing magazines he said that he doesn’t like PMAGs because they have a tendency to split open along the spine when hot (for instance, when left in a hot car for several hours).

Can anyone confirm or bust this myth?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I recently took a carbine course at Valor Ridge, and while Reid and I were discussing magazines he said that he doesn’t like PMAGs because they have a tendency to split open along the spine when hot (for instance, when left in a hot car for several hours).

Yeah I’ve heard of that from Gen 1 mags in Iraq. Don’t think I’ve ever heard of it with the Gen 2s/MOE mags, especially now that they have upgraded those to the same materials as used in the M3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I don’t think Gen 2 or Gen 3 mags have been known to do so. In fact, they are now the standard issue mag.

I would take everything said by that dude with a grain of salt. I’ve watched a few of his videos and heard questionable statements that are contrary to other credible instructors and experienced dudes.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Fully loaded Gen 3 PMAG after 96 hour 180 deg heat soak 5' drop on feed lips full auto test in HK 416 - PASS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Exl10-hE0

Don't believe every thing you hear at the range.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 09-22-18 at 20:59.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have left mags in truck for hours/days in 100+ heat, never seen this. It could be a thing but not in my backyard.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Does not sync with scores of pmags that live in personal and gov vehicles through the summer shooting seasons.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Fully loaded Gen 3 PMAG after 96 hour 180 deg heat soak 5' drop on feed lips full auto test in HK 416 - PASS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Exl10-hE0

Don't believe every thing you hear at the range.
    I couldn’t remember if Magpul did a video on this. I need to bookmark everyone of those test videos to show people that doubt PMAGs now a days. They’re not perfect, but they’re pretty damn impressive.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    According to Wake he used to be right but now he isn’t. This is common in every industry, pros get trained, then they rest on their laurels.

For Reid this might be the case. He also might have something against pmags.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

When hot? Just from sitting there? LOL, no, not hardly. I won't say they have never split in the spine, but heat wasn't an issue and it is almost always from being dropped with a partially full mag directly down onto the feedlips (on concrete).

Again, not an often occurrence, I've done plenty of work with them in extremely hot conditions and spontaneous splitting just doesn't happen. There are plenty of people who feel a metal mag is still the way to go, and that is great as I often use them myself, but there is zero need to make up stories. If you decide to go the metal mag route, just make sure you have an upgraded follower in it. Old green ones just don't cut it, and the short legged super old black ones are garbage.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    According to Wake he used to be right but now he isn’t. This is common in every industry, pros get trained, then they rest on their laurels.

For Reid this might be the case. He also might have something against pmags.
    I imagine it’d be kind of hard to continue evolving though, especially once out of whatever badass job and into full time instructing. Even LAV and Ken Hack still advocate downloading two rounds. That was a Vietnam era thing. I can imagine it’d be a hard habit to break, especially if you actually had an issue that caused you to take that route, but still, it’s not nearly the problem it used to be.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast