Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I put a Steiner P4xi on my Mid-length last winter and shot with it quite a bit up until about early summer. Overall it's probably my most capable "all around" AR that I have.....but since probably June it's barely left the safe. There's a lot of merit to the setup but it's heavier and I find it noticeably more clunky to carry and use than my other ARs and while I've had some pretty decent results with accuracy at 100 yards (which is as far as my range goes) I didn't quite warm to it at close range on 1x.... for me it's usable at close range but not as good as a red dot. It *feels* slower. This isn't a *huge* deal for me, because my whole reasoning for getting an LPVO was that I wanted an AR with a magnified optic that could also be used at close range in a pinch rather than the reverse. But most of the time I find myself wanting a lighter, more maneuverable gun, especially because they spend a lot of time in a vehicle. Justified or not I'm also more concerned about the Steiner losing zero from knocking into things while in my Jeep, than I am with this happening with my other ARs, which have iron sights or optics that are perhaps a bit better suited to taking a beating.

As far as the Steiner itself goes, the adjustments are not particularly audible or tactile in my opinion, but that's a minor issue because once you have it dialed in you are unlikely to mess with the knobs again anyway.

On a more subjective note, I don't particularly care for the P3TR reticle it uses, mostly because I'd prefer it without the top vertical crosshair.

With the illumination on, my eyes also perceive the dot as being minutely uneven/off center, however I'm not sure if that's a QC thing with the scope or it's just my eyes because In dim light I also perceive Aimpoint dots as asymmetrical blobs as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceWindu View Post
    Doing my homework on the Steiner P4Xi. How do you like it?

Mace

I like it a lot. It's been on my duty gun for about a year now. Hasn't lost zero. Eye box is very forgiving. I havent had issues with it on barricades, ports, and under cars. It's no Aimpoint/EOTech for that work but I was surprised at how easy it actually was. I think it's the best LPVO in the sub 1000 dollar range that I've messed with. Not as good as a Razor but it's about half the price. The Leupolds are doing well at work too. They are also very nice but only go down to 1.25 power while the Steiner goes down to like 1.1 power. Not a huge difference but I found the the Steiner easier to use while moving and transitioning targets up close because of it.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Bam!

I'm getting one!

Mace
    "Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceWindu View Post
    Bam!

I'm getting one!

Mace
    Its also easily daylight bright on max power. I have no problem using the dot here in the Az sun. Just an FYI, the battery that came with it sucked. But it's a cheap and easily found coin type battery. CR2021 I believe.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I just skimmed through this thread so if this has been mentioned I apologize.

Didn't the Navy SEALs have pretty good luck with their Recce Rifles? It had a LPVO and a 14.5" barrel.

NYH1.
    Last edited by NYH1; 09-26-18 at 14:11.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I like it a lot. It's been on my duty gun for about a year now. Hasn't lost zero. Eye box is very forgiving. I havent had issues with it on barricades, ports, and under cars. It's no Aimpoint/EOTech for that work but I was surprised at how easy it actually was. I think it's the best LPVO in the sub 1000 dollar range that I've messed with. Not as good as a Razor but it's about half the price. The Leupolds are doing well at work too. They are also very nice but only go down to 1.25 power while the Steiner goes down to like 1.1 power. Not a huge difference but I found the the Steiner easier to use while moving and transitioning targets up close because of it.
    It’s often less than half of the razor. Typically you can find them around $450 whereas the Razors are still over $1k, unless you’re counting the non-E models that people are really starting to clear out. I’d agree that it’s up there for best scope under that price point, though I would be curious to see how it matched the Gen II Vipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    On a more subjective note, I don't particularly care for the P3TR reticle it uses, mostly because I'd prefer it without the top vertical crosshair.
    Same here and have the same opinion on the top vertical line on Leupold VXR SPR and circle reticle. Thick enough to cover plates up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Phone stutter delete
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-26-18 at 13:51. Reason: Phone stutter delete

Feedback Score
    For anybody interested, I believe Euro has a sale on Razors right now in the two MOA variants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    The actual issue is time away from the ranch and money for ammo. I'm good at using RDS, reflex sights, and irons. The amount of range time (at a crowded range where you may wait more than an hour to even shoot), and the money in ammo to "learn something new", not to mention the cost of switching optics--again--all add up to "I don't see the long-term gain" over what I use now.

(Just cuz I'm here a lot during the week doesn't mean I'm not doing ranch stuff, too).
    I just ass-u-med from the posts mentioning your ranch that you shot at home. Por que?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast