Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    Doc, that’s where training comes in. Much like the RDS on a pistol...there is a learning curve.
    Peachy. I don't want an RDS on a pistol just for that reason.

Not to go off on a tangent, but isn't the purpose of optics to simplify and speed up the aiming process?

Are we beginning to put the cart before the horse by making ourselves learn new ways of shooting just so we have an excuse to always use an optic or type of optic?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-25-18 at 11:00.

Feedback Score
    Too lazy to work through it? Or stuck in your ways? As they say, no pain, no gain.

There is no easy button in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    Too lazy to work through it? Or stuck in your ways? As they say, no pain, no gain.

There is no easy button in life.

The actual issue is time away from the ranch and money for ammo. I'm good at using RDS, reflex sights, and irons. The amount of range time (at a crowded range where you may wait more than an hour to even shoot), and the money in ammo to "learn something new", not to mention the cost of switching optics--again--all add up to "I don't see the long-term gain" over what I use now.

(Just cuz I'm here a lot during the week doesn't mean I'm not doing ranch stuff, too).

Feedback Score
    Much of it, both the pistol and the rifle, can be done through dry fire.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My experience with LPVO's is the Steiner P4xi, Meopta ZD (1-4) and the Trijicon TR24 .

The Meopta has an extremely bright illuminated reticle and the Trijicon's FO/Tritium are bright as well. Both the Meopta and Trijicon have good, not great, glass.
    The Steiner is decent glass and a good scope at its price point. It rides on a carbine as a "truck gun".

I compared my speed of target engagement with the Meopta and Trijicon to an MRO at 50 yds and in- to 7 yds.
    At virtual contact distance the MRO was 5% quicker. That narrowed and disappeared as distance increased. Obviously, precision/distance targets were much more efficient and easier with the LPVO's for me. This is subjective and statistically irrelevant, but is my experience.
    I am a fan of the LPVO on a carbine. That said, I have carbines with RD's that I use frequently, guess it's different tools for different jobs.

Granted, one doesn't always know ahead of time what the "game" is going to be.

When they develop a LPVO that weighs <8 oz. and will hold up to "real world" abuse, I'll using nothing else.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The only place I feel like you really need to train with it is support side and unconventional shooting positions, but those typically take more practice anyways. I didn’t notice any significant issues when I switched from my EXPS-3 to the LPVO, and I’m only using a P4Xi. I think the Razor may be the king of 1x so I can’t imagine it’d take that much practice for most people to get used to.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post

Not to go off on a tangent, but isn't the purpose of optics to simplify and speed up the aiming process?

Are we beginning to put the cart before the horse by making ourselves learn new ways of shooting just so we have an excuse to always use an optic or type of optic?
    Did you make her transition from irons to red dot on a rifle with much fuss?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post

I would argue that a LPVO does exactly that, when some distance is in the equation. The red dot portion of it doesn't loose much time at all, and a magnified optic definitely 'simplifies and speeds up the aiming process' at distances past 25 yards IMO. I make much more accurate hits on target faster with a LPVO on anything past 25 yards, and I don't think I'm any slower than my red dots at close range on 1x. But, at the end of the day, use what you feel comfortable with.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had my departments quarterly rifle training yesterday and was put on the clock with my Steiner P4Xi. My rifle is a Colt 6920.

Distance was 10 yards, Target was an anatomy target like the VTAC and the actual target for the drill was the brain box triangle consisting of the eye sockets and the nasal cavity. My fastest time from low ready (true low ready, not muzzle pointed 15 degrees down) to shot was 1.17. Longest was just under 1.4. If the target was just center mass I could easily be under 1 second. Im SLIGHTLY faster with an Aimpoint or EOTech out to around 25 yards. Past that its a wash with me being more accurate with the LPVO on 2-3 power. Past 50 yards Im faster with the LPVO.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I had my departments quarterly rifle training yesterday and was put on the clock with my Steiner P4Xi. My rifle is a Colt 6920.

Distance was 10 yards, Target was an anatomy target like the VTAC and the actual target for the drill was the brain box triangle consisting of the eye sockets and the nasal cavity. My fastest time from low ready (true low ready, not muzzle pointed 15 degrees down) to shot was 1.17. Longest was just under 1.4. If the target was just center mass I could easily be under 1 second. Im SLIGHTLY faster with an Aimpoint or EOTech out to around 25 yards. Past that its a wash with me being more accurate with the LPVO on 2-3 power. Past 50 yards Im faster with the LPVO.

Doing my homework on the Steiner P4Xi. How do you like it?

Mace
    "Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude"

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast