Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I revisited the LVPO yesterday, and I officially hate it. I was on the fence until I gave it a whirl in the context of this thread. I don't know if these things come FFP, but the scope I tried shrinks the reticle down so far when dialed down, it's worthless for speed. You basically have a ghost ring with some lint in the middle of your sight picture.

At distance, it's a decent scope. But dialed down, it's a gargantuan ghost ring.
    The new Nightforce 1-8s are FFP scopes. The NX8 is in the same price range as the Khales and the ATACR is somewhere in the $2800 range.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The Steiner P4Xi has a heavy reticle at all settings, with a daylight bright dot. Not a tiny lint reticle. That makes up two of the five reasons I chose it.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We don't run the scope for close up at all, so there's nothing wrong it in its current use. I just gave it a try to see if it was practical for close up stuff.
    So you’re trying to fit your size 10.5 foot into a size 8 shoe and then complain that it doesn’t fit?

You didn’t mention what LPVO you tried, so I am assuming a bit here, but I would reserve judgement until you can try one purpose built to compete with a RDS on the low end. IE, PROPER reticle design.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 09-24-18 at 18:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post

You didn’t mention what LPVO you tried, so I am assuming a bit here, but I would reserve judgement until you can try one purpose built to compete with a RDS on the low end. IE, PROPER reticle design.
    Could you give some examples of LPVO's "purpose built" to compete with a RDS?

I'm assuming the Trijicon TR24 with triangle reticle might be one, but is that it?

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I have an Ainpoint Pro and a Burris 1-4 Mtac. I have astigmatism and I also wear a close vision lens in my right eye to be able to see my pistol sights. With the Aimpoint anything beyond 100 yards is a problem to see clearly with the close vision lens. With the LPVO either on 1 or 4 everything is sharp at any distance. The Burris is SFP so reticle size does not change. My only gripe is weight with the LPVO.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    So you’re trying to fit your size 10.5 foot into a size 8 shoe and then complain that it doesn’t fit?

That is my shoe size. I don't really care one way or another. I like the scope... I forget what it is off the top of my head. (I have zero passion for glass.. as long as it has a big "NF" on the knob, I'm fine.
    I don't want to pour over technical B.S.) This thing doesn't happen to be Nightforce, but I do like it for distance shooting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quality LPVOs in solid mounts are durable to durable enough for rigorous professional use. They bring many of the benefits of bigger glass on precision guns to more typical fighting carbines. Not all, and the envelope is narrower, but many. Most shooters will see more, see farther, hit easier, more precisely, and make better shooting decisions.

True 1x is nice, but not essential. Some sort of illum on the reticle is much more important.

There are carbine classes designed around fighting carbines with LPVOs working at contact to 300-600yd distances. Those using the optics should take them.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I took a KD4 scopes rifle class last year. It was eye opening how much more precise and even as fast/faster one can be at 25 yards and in with a variable. Meanwhile, smacking 4 and 6” plates at extended ranges didn’t out of the realm of possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You guys make a compelling case that the LPVO is the ultimate in carbine optics, but I have one beef: I have NEVER found one to be as fast in target acquisition or as forgiving of head position as an RDS or reflex sight. And I have tried at least 3-4 different LPVO's for comparison. I have NOT tried a Trijicon TR24 just because I've never had the chance to check one out in person.

If you can show me one that is as quick to deploy and as forgiving of slop in technique as an RDS and I'll plunk down the money to buy that optic.

Feedback Score

What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Doc, that’s where training comes in. Much like the RDS on a pistol...there is a learning curve.

The fastest I’ve tried were the Razor and the TR24. The TR24 is far lighter, but I’m not sure it’s as robust. Both mine are still ticking fine though.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time with the Leupolds including the Mark 6, Vortex Razor and the PST, K-Dot, Short Dot, Steiner, Swarovski, NF, various Trijicons, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by redpillregret; 09-25-18 at 10:54.

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast