Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Feedback Score
    Super bright, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomba07 View Post
    Yea, I figured. Im excited to get it.

Feedback Score
    Adding a LPVO would be advantageous depending on your environment. Even with the 11.5” you would still be good out to 300-400 yds maybe further depending on your shooting skills./ammo choice. The only drawback is the added weight if you’re trying to keep the rifle light.

Feedback Score
    I’ve always been an aimpoint guy but threw a razor on my 11.5 just to see what all the fuss was about. I took a class yesterday (750 rounds) with that setup and I can say that I’m noticeably faster with my red dot... but the razor was almost as fast and did everything almost as well as my red dot... but then 300m with the razor feels like 75m with the red dot... so it’s all in what your priorities are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As many have already stated, the end use of the carbine should dictate the accessories. The LPVO does allow the carbine to be utilized in both traditional CQB and beyond. As always the mission should drive the equipment.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    The current pricing I'm seeing on OpticsPlanet makes this a fantastic option. The illumination is daylight bright and it seems tough enough for duty use. Please let us know what you think of it.
    I only have a couple hundred rounds on my Px4i but will be using it in a competition this weekend. My initial impressions are pretty good though. I got this optic for $550 shipped from optics planet, and they got it too me really fast for their free shipping option. I think it got to my post office in only 3 days. The only other LPVO I actually own is a Primary Arms 1-8 SFP, but I have been using it for the last 2 years and probably 1.5K round count.

The Steiner has a true day light visible reticle in the sense that most people want. Aimpoint style center dot, that is very visible even when shooting in the desert at noon. I don't even turn it close to all the way up. The PA optics rely on a very thick black donut and are not day light bright. Doesn't mean you can't shoot a PA effectively, its just different. The Steiner has a better eye box, and less fish eye than my PA. The difference between 4x and 8x top end is pretty noticeable though. I can't spot bullet holes at 100 with the Steiner like I can with the PA. Also I would like to point out that while the Steiner does have accurate turrets, they are very mushy even compared to my PA. The turrets are capped though, so Im not worried about their durability. I liked that my Steiner came with a throw lever, because the zoom is fairly tight. I have a very small amount of time behind a SWARO 1-6 that my buddy owns, so that lends experience to judge eye box, clarity, and smooth zoom.

If I was gonna buy again I would strongly look at the vortex PST against the Steiner P4xi. I like that the Steiner is lighter by a lot, came with a throw lever, and a little cheaper, but I feel the PST might have better eye box and more magnification. At the end of the day it really comes down to what do you need? For my competition the P4Xi should have plenty of magnification, and now I have a daylight bright reticle for the hoser parts.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I only have a couple hundred rounds on my Px4i but will be using it in a competition this weekend. My initial impressions are pretty good though. I got this optic for $550 shipped from optics planet, and they got it too me really fast for their free shipping option. I think it got to my post office in only 3 days. The only other LPVO I actually own is a Primary Arms 1-8 SFP, but I have been using it for the last 2 years and probably 1.5K round count.

The Steiner has a true day light visible reticle in the sense that most people want. Aimpoint style center dot, that is very visible even when shooting in the desert at noon. I don't even turn it close to all the way up. The PA optics rely on a very thick black donut and are not day light bright. Doesn't mean you can't shoot a PA effectively, its just different. The Steiner has a better eye box, and less fish eye than my PA. The difference between 4x and 8x top end is pretty noticeable though. I can't spot bullet holes at 100 with the Steiner like I can with the PA. Also I would like to point out that while the Steiner does have accurate turrets, they are very mushy even compared to my PA. The turrets are capped though, so Im not worried about their durability. I liked that my Steiner came with a throw lever, because the zoom is fairly tight. I have a very small amount of time behind a SWARO 1-6 that my buddy owns, so that lends experience to judge eye box, clarity, and smooth zoom.

If I was gonna buy again I would strongly look at the vortex PST against the Steiner P4xi. I like that the Steiner is lighter by a lot, came with a throw lever, and a little cheaper, but I feel the PST might have better eye box and more magnification. At the end of the day it really comes down to what do you need? For my competition the P4Xi should have plenty of magnification, and now I have a daylight bright reticle for the hoser parts.
    Good info....Isn't the PA horseshoe and dot part of the reticle illuminated red also with 11 brightness settings? I have one of of PA's Prism scopes ACSS reticles and they are pretty bright.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 10-29-19 at 07:56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Good info....Isn't the PA horseshoe and dot part of the reticle illuminated red also with 11 brightness settings? I have one of of PA's Prism scopes ACSS reticles and they are pretty bright.
    You are right about the chevron and horseshoe being illuminated, but for example; the illumination doesn't stand out against a noon time desert. At setting 11 I almost can't tell that the black reticle is supposed to be illuminated. Like I said they make up for this with the actual thickness of the reticle. Doesn't mean I can't snap shoot or do up drills, it just isn't the 'aim point' experience that most have come to expect from a duty grade LPVO. The Steiner on the other hand delivers a duty grade optic experience.

On the PA optic I would say that illumination is most useful during myopic lighting like, dawn and dusk. The Steiner has illumination settings for NV, night time, and daytime.

Has anyone actually used a NV setup behind an LPVO? How did you like it, and what hardware was used?
    Last edited by turnburglar; 10-29-19 at 12:54.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738