Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Feedback Score

What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

You know, the Nightforces, the Razors, etc. I can see it on a dedicated long-range gun but on an M4-ish platform? Isn't there already the ACOG?

My personal favorite reticle is the EOTech, but given the DoD shenanigans from a few years back, the shifting POI (my biggest grievance), and the battery life I have adorned my AR's with Aimpoint T-1's or T-2's. Two ACOGs also.

Look, not throwing stones, genuinely want to know the interest in the LPVO. I have never shot a weapon with one on it, and a more "traditional" looking optic than a RDS just asks to be bumped out of zero (thinking of a hunting rifle and if it's bumped/dropped you're SOL on the zero). They are also large and I suspect heavier than a RDS or even an ACOG.

My biggest fear? This thread will cause me to spend $$$.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 09-20-18 at 18:40.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was a bit skeptical but decided to give it a try since my astigmatism gives me a squiggly line instead of a dot with Aimpoints. Im sold on them.

Note... Im basing this off of a Steiner P4Xi as that's what Ive been using on my work rifle.

On 1 power it's almost as fast as an Aimpoint. The eye box is very forgiving and I havent had issues with getting a good sight picture even running it on barricades, through ports, and under vehicles. The increased magnification helps on everything past about 30 yards. From 30-75ish yards I keep the scope on 2-2.5 power. Eye box is still very forgiving and the slight magnification gives me a little finer aiming point. At 100 yards and above the 4 power works really well, just like an ACOG.

Durability depends on the quality of the optic. Just like cheap red dots don't hold up the same as an Aimpoint. My Steiner hasn't lost zero riding around in the back of my patrol vehicle for about a year now. Its gone through 20+ hours of training which included barricade work, vehicle work, and running and gunning.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You have to try it for yourself. ACOG is a quality optic but it’s fixed magnification. Also consider the crosshairs reticle combined with a red dot in the middle. As an eotech shooter I wasn’t sure. But then I tried it. I’m thinking of dumping Eotech entirely and going LPVO.

I took my P4xi out to the range and burned down some up close stuff hen walked back to distance and was making shots standing that I might have had to go at least kneeling to hit.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    You know, the Nightforces, the Razors, etc. I can see it on a dedicated long-range gun but on an M4-ish platform? Isn't there already the ACOG?

My personal favorite reticle is the EOTech, but given the DoD shenanigans from a few years back, the shifting POI (my biggest grievance), and the battery life I have adorned my AR's with Aimpoint T-1's or T-2's. Two ACOGs also.

Look, not throwing stones, genuinely want to know the interest in the LPVO. I have never shot a weapon with one on it, and a more "traditional" looking optic than a RDS just asks to be bumped out of zero (thinking of a hunting rifle and if it's bumped/dropped you're SOL on the zero). They are also large and I suspect heavier than a RDS or even an ACOG.

I have a vx-r patrol 1.25-4.
    Is it as robust as an aimpoint or acog, probably not.
    At 1.25x i have a fast sight. Almost rds fast. I can also zoom in for hunting (which is more likely than HD) or target ID.
    Past that I dont know. If you have the money, khales looks good, but a lot of the “reasonable” options (vortex 1-6) are pigs. I need to get hands on, but on paper, you can have a 2.5-10 and rds for the same weight. 1-4 is good, 1-6 I cant justify the weight, but again- based on specs only.
    A vortex 1-6 is 24oz. My optic is half that.

For lpvo
    Good up close eye box
    Good long range clarity/reticle
    Light weight
    Cost

Pick 2, maybe 3 depending on optic.

Best thing to do is define your situation and let people offer advice.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-20-18 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post

Fixed power optics like the ACOG are obsolescent. Good LPVOs give you 90-95% the capability of a RDS while giving you better a magnified sight picture than an ACOG.

LPVO = a slightly less forgiving RDS + low magnification scope

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Fixed power optics like the ACOG are obsolescent.
    Not sure if I agree with this.

LPVO, as much as I love them, are still nowhere near as durable as an ACOG.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This has mostly been said but I also was very hesitant to try the LPVO game, it seemed like a lot of money, lot of extra weight, and little gain. I tried a magnified on my buddies rifle and downright hated it. I purchased a Steiner p4xi as a budget way of seeing if this would be for me and it was a huge change. Now let me say that my Steiner broke relatively early into my testing with it, approximately 400 rounds, which is a thread and a complaint all its own but it did what I needed it to do which was confirm this would work for me and work well. So much so that I have a Razor-E arriving here on Monday. My optic now costs as much as my base AR did but its well worth it and I plan on buying at least one if not two more LPVOs for my other rifles.

The advantages are that with the quality LPVOs you get the advantages of running an Aimpoint with a bright center dot in daylight bright, super quick and easy to pick up. You get the advantages of being able to magnify at intervals instead of the Elcan type of going straight to 1 or 6. You have the ability to still use the etched reticle if the batteries die on you without issue. This allows you to be fast up close and fast at distance while maintaining the ability to be very accurate at distance, especially if braced or prone, it also allows you to be able to PID if you aren't just using your rifle for target shooting.

The negatives are as before weight and price for quality. Your Strike Eagles and the like are your Holosuns of the LPVO world. Steiner P4xi is really the only "cheap" option and its cheap because it gives up some durability, which I have observed first hand. The weight while kind of a pain also helps maintain recoil I've noticed. The other negative is shorter battery life. If you plan on leaving it on everyday all day for months without touching it then you're going to find a dead dot when you go to grab it. Also, due to the weight and if you run a high mount which is also my by far new preference for optics of any kind the weight can make running a barricade or odd positions a little more difficult but still not impossible.

If you are on the fence grab a P4xi and give it a try. If you don't like it they maintain enough interest you can flip it very easily after you are done, but give it a couple hundred rounds of going between up/downs, close to far, etc to wring out the concept for you. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Depends on what you want to shoot at.

For around the house HD type AR, I don't think an Aimpoint can be beat. For a 3 gun/ranch rifle an LPV brings a lot of capability.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    They have the same appeal as a red dot with a flip magnifier. In fact, the first that I used had a lever that gave you the choice of 1x or 4x, with nothing between, just like a flip magnifier.

The P4Xi has a very friendly BDC, much like the ACOG. The hashmarks get narrower with range, so the same hashmark you use for range estimation is also the one you aim with. And if the dot dies, perhaps because the battery is done, you still have a reticle.

RDS are still top dog for close range work. They are lighter and not a jack of all trades. Another option is an ACOG with a mini red dot on top, or an offset RDS.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Not sure if I agree with this.

LPVO, as much as I love them, are still nowhere near as durable as an ACOG.
    ACOGs have pretty much been phased out in the SOF community.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast