Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've bought 3 prisms in the past 18 months or so. a 1x, 2.5x, 3.0x. I really like the etched / illuminated reticle option. I have the 3x on a 9" 300blk. I like it best due to it having a chevron. It was that one which I first "looked at" a close-in target. 5-7 meters and was a bit taken aback. It didn't take any time at all for my eye-to-brain function to easily deal with it. I now just grab it a few times a week to look at stuff 5m + or so. It keeps me from experiencing that giant target in my face syndrome.

I had a 1-4 on a 20" which was a great scope imo. I designated that rifle my long distance shooter and replaced the 1-4 with a 4-12. But I can see where a 1-4 / 1-6, etc would be a good choice for a LEO or civilian for that matter. It's all about the reps.

Feedback Score
    For CQB in the home for defense, nothing beats a red dot. While these variable scopes come kind of close, they are still inferior and the weight and length can be an unnecessary hindrance. They are a jack of all trades and masters of none. If one rifle is all you got for home defense and hunting, then I can see their usefulness.

However, I see guys that put one up on all their rifles. Even SBR’s or pistols where the most you will reach out to if ever is about 100 yards. That doesn’t make much sense.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Corporal View Post
    For CQB in the home for defense, nothing beats a red dot. While these variable scopes come kind of close, they are still inferior and the weight and length can be an unnecessary hindrance. They are a jack of all trades and masters of none. If one rifle is all you got for home defense and hunting, then I can see their usefulness.

However, I see guys that put one up on all their rifles. Even SBR’s or pistols where the most you will reach out to if ever is about 100 yards. That doesn’t make much sense.
    Define inferior. And there are plenty of people here who shoot short barrels well past 100 yards.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Exactly... thank you. I have carbines set up with both RDS and LPVO. I like and use both for different reasons. Father Time is a real prick when it comes to the degradation of my low light vision and LPVO has helped me overcome that with the ability to magnify and focus in certain conditions.

End of the day, two shits given if someone else doesn’t like or want to use a LPVO. And I say this as I was one kicking and screaming to avoid it before finally trying it. I’m glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Define inferior. And there are plenty of people here who shoot short barrels well past 100 yards.
    Yup. I shoot my SBRs out to 250-300 yds hitting A-C steel with boring regularity. One of my 11.5” SBRs, gasp, has a LPVO... A Vortex Razor Gen 2-E.

Before life got in the way the past several weeks, I was enjoying my focus on shooting for accuracy and groups at 200 with my SBRs and was quite pleased in the results.

Know your system and ballistics and it’s not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arptsprt; 08-24-19 at 20:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Inferior being that it isn’t as good as a red dot for up close. Sure it can be done almost as well as a red dot but not quite. You need the proper eye relief to even see the dot and the 1x is never a true 1x. It’s always slightly more than 1x and with both eyes open the sight picture becomes slightly distorted to some. Especially for someone who’s left eye dominant but shoots right handed.

I’m not saying it sucks. It doesn’t. It works well but not 100 percent like a red dot will.

Also I’m not saying that people don’t shoot short barrels past 100 yards. Sure at the range or on a hunt but in defense it’s almost never done for the average person. But that’s another topic.
    Last edited by Marine Corporal; 08-24-19 at 21:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In a home defense scenario, weight (which always gets me), length, etc don't matter. 99% of any home invasions, the "enemy" comes to the occupant. It ain't house to house, room to room, etc where weapons are being maneuvered and all that. It's either an "oh poop" sudden face to face moment or like the Oklahoma deal where the kid dusted those 2-3 invaders. And I bet in his situation it was just a point and shoot deal with his AR.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    I've bought 3 prisms in the past 18 months or so. a 1x, 2.5x, 3.0x. I really like the etched / illuminated reticle option. I have the 3x on a 9" 300blk. I like it best due to it having a chevron. It was that one which I first "looked at" a close-in target. 5-7 meters and was a bit taken aback. It didn't take any time at all for my eye-to-brain function to easily deal with it. I now just grab it a few times a week to look at stuff 5m + or so. It keeps me from experiencing that giant target in my face syndrome.
    The gun that I had my LPVO on for a while had previously had a Primary Arms 2.5x prism on it. After removing the LPVO, the gun went through a brief "irons only" stage and now has the 2.5x on it again.
    It's not as versatile as an LPVO, and not a good choice for an HD optic, but if used on an "outdoors only" AR a compact low powered fixed magnification optic works pretty well. Although personally I don't think I'd want to go higher than 3x for that. They can be used at close range without too much trouble but they aren't ideal for that.
    I've been meaning to experiment with doing the occluded-eye thing with mine at close range but haven't much of that yet.
    My positive experiences with the PA 2.5x have made me want to eventually try out something similar in concept but more battle proven - namely an ACOG.

Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    the Oklahoma deal where the kid dusted those 2-3 invaders. And I bet in his situation it was just a point and shoot deal with his AR.
    Just as a point of interest, he used a 20" iron-sighted A2 for that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    My positive experiences with the PA 2.5x have made me want to eventually try out something similar in concept but more battle proven - namely an ACOG.
    One small detail I found out yesterday--ACOG's don't have a diopter adjustment, if that's an issue for you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    The gun that I had my LPVO on for a while had previously had a Primary Arms 2.5x prism on it. After removing the LPVO, the gun went through a brief "irons only" stage and now has the 2.5x on it again.
    It's not as versatile as an LPVO, and not a good choice for an HD optic, but if used on an "outdoors only" AR a compact low powered fixed magnification optic works pretty well. Although personally I don't think I'd want to go higher than 3x for that. They can be used at close range without too much trouble but they aren't ideal for that.
    I've been meaning to experiment with doing the occluded-eye thing with mine at close range but haven't much of that yet.

Just as a point of interest, he used a 20" iron-sighted A2 for that.
    Yep, "he done good" imo. If there is such a thing, he was fortunate to have that go down under "ideal" conditions". I agree the magnified prisms aren't ideal for interior HD. But if someone is going to use an AR (any size) as their primary HD weapon, I'm good with it.

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast