Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Define inferior. And there are plenty of people here who shoot short barrels well past 100 yards.

Eye box and the fact you cannot get true 1X with an optic that has magnified lenses in play. I loved Short-Dots and the red dot works well but will never be the same as an Aimpoint or EOTech (or other 1X sights).

Still, though, they are a better option than fixed magnified optics like the ACOG. The ACOG 4X was great for the time and in a military application because they are built like tanks but there's a good reason they tried to slap a RDS on top of the ACOG.

And agreed no reason why short barrels can't be accurate or employed well past QCB distances. They actually have some benefit to the shorter length being more rigid assuming the profile is the same as a longer barrel.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Inferior to me would mean that it is literally impossible (or at the very least takes significantly more effort) to achieve the same standard. I've seen dudes beat or match RDS times with an LPVO on drills. I've done comparisons but for some reason never on a timer. Hopefully the next two days will give me the opportunity to do so. I'll compare my EXPS3 gun to my Razor gun. In the past, I've never felt there was a significant, but hopefully I can put some numbers on paper.

Until then, if we were talking LPVOs of 10 years ago or Strike Eagle quality, I'd agree. But with the options we have now, I believe the term inferior is completely incorrect.
    Last edited by Wake27; 08-25-19 at 21:45.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wake
    From your experience, what are good options for a lpvo? I started with cheap lpvo’s to test the waters (primary arms and an old Pentax)

MrG&G reviewed the Nikon 1000 Black 1-4 and I’m considering getting one.

I have cheap Nikons and mid price vortex’s (diamondback and PST) scopes. The cheap Nikons are pretty decent for the price so I’m leaning to trying the Nikon Black

1. Range
    2. Hunting
    3. Home (back up)

No door kicking

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim808 View Post
    Wake
    From your experience, what are good options for a lpvo? I started with cheap lpvo’s to test the waters (primary arms and an old Pentax)

MrG&G reviewed the Nikon 1000 Black 1-4 and I’m considering getting one.
    Kick your budget up another $100-150 and the Vortex PST G2 1-6x24 is a viable option. It's 80% of the Razor at 50% of the price.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Rhino
    Thank you sir! I’ll read up on them

Feedback Score
    Yep, the Viper is arguably the best b4b LPVO.

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Kick your budget up another $100-150 and the Vortex PST G2 1-6x24 is a viable option. It's 80% of the Razor at 50% of the price.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    A lot of people have said this. It made me think twice about getting a Razor but I still really wanted one. The Viper is on my list for my backup gun though.

Another option is the Steiner P4Xi. It’s what I started with and I had it for about a year before deciding to move up to the Razor. Very good quality for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Very interesting thread. I’ve been toying with the idea of a 1-4 on my Mini-14. My AR is happy with a Aimpoint Pro. I tend to take the Mini camping with me though and I thought a LPVO might be nice where’s I have a little bit more range. I was looking at a Leupold 1-4 Freedom. Why don’t I see much about the Leupold options in here? Something wrong with them?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific5th View Post
    Very interesting thread. I’ve been toying with the idea of a 1-4 on my Mini-14. My AR is happy with a Aimpoint Pro. I tend to take the Mini camping with me though and I thought a LPVO might be nice where’s I have a little bit more range. I was looking at a Leupold 1-4 Freedom. Why don’t I see much about the Leupold options in here? Something wrong with them?
    They are never 1.0x on the bottom end and yes that matters.

Only their VX-6 and MK6 are 1.0x on the bottom. The VX-6 has always been beset with illumination / reticle issues which disappoint people and the $2K+ price point make the MK6 1-6 hard to stomach.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Dupe.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 08-28-19 at 15:29.

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast