Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    ... Like, I just want a clear FOV, forgiving eyebox, and daytime bright dot and not be all heavy
    So say we all, homie.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post

If you're doing dedicated molly maid housework, and your mean engagement distance is under 25 or even 50 meters, then grab an Eotech and drive on.

Actually yeah. Honestly if I am just busting into peoples houses in America and in built up areas....this. I'd even forego irons. Close and fast with the video game sight both eyes open. EOTech is THE optic IMO. Like..its so comfy.

Really....Some stuff I dont need. Like...Part of me wants an EOTech and an ACOG/RMR and done but on what I will call a halfway gun I want an LPVO.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    33 pages in, and this is still spinning around in people's guts.

If you're shooting regularly out past 100m, especially trying to reach out to the effective range of 5.56x45mm, you're going to need magnification. There are options. Lots of bad people are taking dirt naps from an ACOG or an SU-230/Elcan Specter DR. We have LPVOs now, though, and 6x is better than 4x. Half again better.

As has been pointed out, if you're doing something more than just slinging lead at paper or steel, magnification is of prime importance for PID of your target. A red dot or eotech won't let you do that.

Whether it's on teams per Jeff Gurwitch's Competition to Combat Crossover article that shows what the meat eaters are using, or the latest stat sheet from 3-gun and other professional shooting competitions, it's clear that LPVOs offer objective advantages across the board as compared to older, and especially to non magnified, sighting systems.

If you're doing dedicated molly maid housework, and your mean engagement distance is under 25 or even 50 meters, then grab an Eotech and drive on.

If you need some magnification for largely open field shooting, but need the lightest stick you can manage, get an ACOG.

If you want a rifle that can do both, and rapidly swap between those roles, get an LPVO. A Razor HD Gen IIe for $1200 or less makes the argument for itself. Also, even though they are heavy, a cantilevered scope mount puts those 20-24 oz out over the mag-well, which is a decent place for a rifle to balance. Plus, that weight can help counter-balance a PEQ or suppressor. Not the worst outcome.
    Nobody needs your objectivity and analytical articulables based on facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've had a Burris MTAC 1-4, Vortex Viper 1-4, and Steiner P4XI 1-4.
    Last edited by sbrown3; 09-20-19 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Which LPVOs did you try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've had a Burris MTAC 1-4, Vortex Viper 1-4, and Steiner P4XI 1-4.

Feedback Score
    I have a Kahles K16i which is essentially the Swaro with a beefier build. It's all of the things you mentioned, the glass, fov, eyebrow, even the "feel" of the throw lever screams quality. The SM-1 reticle is great for 400+ yard shots as well as CQB detail.

On 1x the K16i is like wearing VR goggles, only way to describe it.

Worth every penny and still cheaper than a Leupold MK6 or S&B SD
    Last edited by TacticalTaco; 09-22-19 at 19:21.

Feedback Score
    This. I’ve heard this so much. I’m gonna get one at some point but while LPVOs have come a long way, there’s still room for improvement. Lighter, smaller, at least 1-6.

Some of these optics seem great until you start thinking “gee why not just make it an SPR then?”

A carbine should be light, rugged, and handy.

My Colt seems super dated compared to some people’s guns but I don’t mind tossing it in the truck and it’s not burdensome to take on an impromptu hunt.

The only RDS I seriously use is an eotech simply because aimpoints really do give me vertigo sorta. I get eye fatigue. Maybe I am getting older and I have tried mounting it closer and farther and it just makes me not even bother. RMRs, MROs, and EOtechs don’t do that to me. It’s not fanboyism or trying to “be different”

The dot on an aimpoint is certainly clearer and sharper but how it is in that housing gives me tunnel vision.

YMMV
    I absolutely agree on weight, it's the main drawback of the LPVO for a dynamic rifle. My current primary wears a TR24G; it plus an LT104 was definitely a step up in weight over the PA prism and ADM mount I used previously. That said, it's still nearly half a pound lighter than even a Razor Gen II-E! There are definitely LPVO options out there that don't weight a ton. Some of Leupold's offerings are very intriguing on that front, but the general lack of anything close to "true" 1x on most of them doesn't have me too excited.

My carbines are typically used for protection (against both wildlife and methbillies) in the field, which means high altitude, steep grades, and lots of loose rock - and are carried far more than shot. I have found that an otherwise lightweight carbine with a fairly light LPVO is not an imposition to carry for extended periods. Magnification is not optional for an outdoor rifle, especially in New Mexico. How to obtain that magnification while remaining light and maintaining efficacy in CQB is the question. For me, it's just a matter of choosing between an ACOG and lightweight LPVO. I've settled on the LPVO right now, but would consider a compact ACOG as well.

Aimpoint Micros and similar-sized optics don't work for me either; the FOV is just unpleasantly small compared to an LPVO or prism.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got to mess around with a Viper PST Gen2 1-6 last week at rifle training. It was on a T&E gun. I didn't get a whole lot of time behind it but composing it to my Steiner P4Xi the PST had a much more forgiving eye box on the low end and a larger field of view.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Like, I just want a clear FOV, forgiving eyebox, and daytime bright dot and not be all heavy
    Add a basic, straight-forward reticle and that is exactly my criteria when I was shopping for mine, I ended up going with a Kahles 1-6x24i and couldn't be happier.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    IMO it's the least expensive option I'd go with for "serious work".

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I got to mess around with a Viper PST Gen2 1-6 last week at rifle training. It was on a T&E gun. I didn't get a whole lot of time behind it but composing it to my Steiner P4Xi the PST had a much more forgiving eye box on the low end and a larger field of view.

That's the shit right there.

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Add a basic, straight-forward reticle and that is exactly my criteria when I was shopping for mine, I ended up going with a Kahles 1-6x24i and couldn't be happier.

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast