Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wtm75 View Post
    Not in low light they don't. Irons still work in low light.

That's operator error for not changing 5 year batteries every 2 years by the way.
    The battery died in less than a year, twice. The reticles work fine in low light, many of them better than irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A small(er) scope, say 1-8x or 2-10x or less - I get. Or maybe a high dollar LR scope on a 20 or 24" barrel. But a 5-25x56 on a 16" gun? Hell to the naw naw.

The ACOG has been getting done for decades now on man-sized targets in a variety of theatres. There are lots of great choices for a fighting gun. Choose accordingly, but don't go overload / full retard. Thanks.

YMMV

HT
    "When the people fear their government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." – Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Irons don't work in low light unless you have a big white light mounted.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Or... a tritium front sight.

Feedback Score
    I think low light and total darkness are two different things. By low light I mean almost totally dark but with enough ambient light that you can see shapes and shadows. In low light, you can see the outline of iron sights. I don't have much experience with scopes but I would guess it would be harder to see a black etched reticle. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by wtm75; 10-01-18 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wtm75 View Post
    I think low light and total darkness are two different things. By low light I mean almost totally dark but with enough ambient light that you can see shapes and shadows. In low light, you can see the outline of iron sights. I don't have much experience with scopes but I would guess it would be harder to see a black etched reticle. Maybe I'm wrong.
    You’d be surprised. Often through a quality scope, it is brighter than with the naked eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Irons don't work in low light unless you have a big white light mounted.
    Who wouldn't have a white light mounted on a serious use rifle?😆

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow93 View Post
    I fully and completely disagree with that statement. I'm not sure if you are LE or not but SWAT is rarely an option and the response time is usually measured in an hour to two not minutes. And you do realize the distances an urban patrol officer has to deal with still correct? Ever been in a Walmart or a distibution warehouse? You are easily talking about 100/200/300 yard distances easily and their are TONS of scenarios where a regular beat officer could have to make a confrontation at that distance when their is not time to wait for SWAT to be deployed or even at much shorter distances where having the ability to take a precise shot is necessary.

God help us if the average police officer is going to be running into a walmart in full gear and then make a standing 300 yard shot with his AR.
    Most people don't shoot past 100 yards ever, officers don't even shoot their ARs in the academy past 100 yards. Love all these dudes who shoot at 50 yards and then think they are magically going to make a 300 yard head shot. Even if you have a 1 MOA AR with good ammo, from a bench, you're looking at a 3 inch group at 300 yards. You think an officer with an LPVO at 6x who does almost no training should be taking 300 yard head shots?

Come on guys, I like LPVs but 90% of these scenarios I read online are ridiculous.
    LPVOs awesome for LE for PID and yeah they are a jack of all trades for someone who isnt hiking far with their gear.
    Aimpoint for home defense, for 99.99% of people.
    ACOG for hiking around. They are light, perfect magnification, good glass, cheaper than most quality LPVs. I have lots of optics but find myself grabbing an ACOG when heading out into the desert. I can blast a rabbit at 10 yards and I can see far out. LPVs are heavy and a pain when using in a buggy or vehicle. Aimpoints and ACOGs are hard to beat.

I really hate how people use the military as their justification also. These dudes overseas using LPVs are in a completely different situation than anyone at home. At home even as an officer you are accountable for the rounds you fire, in a way that people overseas are not.
    Last edited by backpacker; 08-23-19 at 15:52.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    LPVO is the future. The other stuff is nice as a toy or if its all you can afford but LPVOs have gotten lighter and more forgiving

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    LPVO is the future. The other stuff is nice as a toy or if its all you can afford but LPVOs have gotten lighter and more forgiving
    I'm still waiting for something lighter than my old NF NSX 1-4...

Everything else may be getting thinner and lighter but good glass remains big and heavy.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast