Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Not sure if I agree with this.

LPVO, as much as I love them, are still nowhere near as durable as an ACOG.
    I'd say they well surpass it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’ve had LPVOs and I keep returning to EXPS3-0 and T-1s with a G33 in my gear to attach when needed.

LPVOs are great too, but they’re heavier and turn a handy/quick rifle to sluggish.

Both have their place and I buy both.

Feedback Score
    It’s a pretty simple logic...you combine the fast sighting properties of a 1x system with the longer range capabilities of a 4-6x system as opposed to only having one or the orther with something like a red dot or an ACOG.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    This. I'd also add that the reticle options on the LPVO's are better than on ACOG's and the ability to be at 2,3, 2.75x whatever helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    It’s a pretty simple logic...you combine the fast sighting properties of a 1x system with the longer range capabilities of a 4-6x system as opposed to only having one or the orther with something like a red dot or an ACOG.
    Also give this article a read

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/08/06...yle-defoor-11/

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post
    /threadjack/
    Other than the specific scope Defoor references there, do any other manufacturers have a combo FFP reticle/SFP red dot? Seems like an outstanding idea to me.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post
    /threadjack/
    Other than the specific scope Defoor references there, do any other manufacturers have a combo FFP reticle/SFP red dot? Seems like an outstanding idea to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    /threadjack/
    I think S&B has (or had announced) a low power PM-II like that.

Feedback Score
    I don’t think there is a “fascination”. I’ve been using them since 2006. They fill a role many need filled. My decisions to use them for the majority of my shooting include astigmatism, being able to shoot targets at extended ranges, and the ability to make ballistic compensations. Meanwhile, it maintains a more forgiving eye box than an ACOG as well as having the ability to be fired on 1x when the need arises.

While a RDS is lighter, the LPVO is lighter and easier to operate than a RDS with a magnifier. Additionally, it’s a more precise sighting system. It requires one mount as opposed to two, and it is a single cost.

Compared to the ACOG, as mentioned before, it is more forgiving and more flexible.

Downsides are weight when compared to an ACOG or RDS w/o magnifier.

For a gun used primarily indoors, I use, and will continue to use, a RDS. For guns that do everything, they will get a variable. I’ve managed shots from point blank to 700 yards with my 14.5” carbine equipped with a Razor.

On dual focal plane: anytime you intended to use the reticle, you will be on 6x with the Razor. Below 6x, the FFP scopes’ reticles are difficult to use. I believe US Optics made a dual focal plane and it didn’t work out as well as intended. I could see it being an advantage if you were using a busy reticle and perhaps had a top end in the 8x or greater range....but right now the juice isn’t worth the squeeze especially with a simple reticle like the Razor HD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I can see that LPVOs definitely add capability to a general purpose carbine (hunting, gaming, target shooting). They also add weight and cost compared to a quality affordable RDS like an AP Pro or MRO.

I don't think they are superior for an urban police officer or home defense. With the exception of SWAT, police officers don't engage at 300 yards and God help the home defender who pops a criminal at that range.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-21-18 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    You know, the Nightforces, the Razors, etc. I can see it on a dedicated long-range gun but on an M4-ish platform? Isn't there already the ACOG?

My personal favorite reticle is the EOTech, but given the DoD shenanigans from a few years back, the shifting POI (my biggest grievance), and the battery life I have adorned my AR's with Aimpoint T-1's or T-2's. Two ACOGs also.

Look, not throwing stones, genuinely want to know the interest in the LPVO. I have never shot a weapon with one on it, and a more "traditional" looking optic than a RDS just asks to be bumped out of zero (thinking of a hunting rifle and if it's bumped/dropped you're SOL on the zero). They are also large and I suspect heavier than a RDS or even an ACOG.

My biggest fear? This thread will cause me to spend $$$.
    My "fascination" came as a result of ballistics testing. I had 35 acres in the woods, and I would line up milk jugs full of water, as they gave similar results in my experience to soft skin game (deer) regarding recovered .224 dia projectiles at 5.56 carbine velocity.

At 25 and 50 and 75 yards even, this was fine, but once I stretched it to 100+ yards, I began "wounding" a lot of milk jug "stacks", losing bullets, and in general having a frustrating time. It was then that I began to understand the value of even 3x magnification. I put a g33 behind my t2, and began centering those jugs.

Now, I know you may not be hunting milk jugs, but that's not the point, the point is that at a mere 100 yards, cleanly hitting COM a 7" or so wide target of contrasting color was difficult for me from the standing, braced against a tree, even with 20/10 vision. Magnification made it a piece of cake.

From that g33/t2 onward, I went as far down the rabbit hole as I could trying to have my 1x cake as well as to eat my 100+ yard precision as I could, in as streamlined a form factor as possible.

Currently, I'm awaiting the purchase of an NX8. I will get similar size and weight to a t2 in a scalarworks backed by a g33...along with an etched reticle, drop and wind holds, and another nearly 5x magnification.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast