Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Feedback Score
    Durability depends on quality and the mount. Good quality variables from 15 years ago in good mounts were completely durable....as much or more so than ACOGs and RDSs.

I’ve never personally owned an ACOG but have. Lot of time on them. And I have seen them fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Are the LPVO more subject to have zero knocked out of whack by bumping it? i.e. anymore so than a good RDS or ACOG?

When I see a LPVO on an AR I see a scope, and as such think it's vulnerable to all the things scopes have traditionally been subject to. Drop your 30.06 bolt gun while in the woods deer hunting and you're probably going to have to re-zero before you attempt to drop a critter. ACOG's, for example, have a reputation for ruggedness. Have LPVOs attained this level of ruggedness yet?

To be fair, I had an AR with a T-1 on it fall out of my safe and land right on the top of the RDS (figures, could have fallen 10 different ways but noooo). When I went to re-check the zero I was off by 6 inches at 50 yards! Yeah, nothing is perfect.
    An ACOG is still a scope, for that matter red dot sight is too, from the standpoint of the erector system used to make sight adjustment and then hold that adjustment. You either buy optics that have a solid mechanically accurate and durable erector or you don’t. There is no difference mechanically, none, between an ACOG or high quality variable scope in ability to maintain zero where the erector is concerned.

I have a Nightforce 3.5-15X50 that took a 15ft ride to the deck on a rifle. Hit so hard the stock split in half, banged the scope up too. Put a new stock on and went to re-zero. No need still shot to zero after that, still works perfectly.

Buy a quality scope, put it in a quality mount. Stop worrying.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Are the LPVO more subject to have zero knocked out of whack by bumping it? i.e. anymore so than a good RDS or ACOG?

When I see a LPVO on an AR I see a scope, and as such think it's vulnerable to all the things scopes have traditionally been subject to. Drop your 30.06 bolt gun while in the woods deer hunting and you're probably going to have to re-zero before you attempt to drop a critter. ACOG's, for example, have a reputation for ruggedness. Have LPVOs attained this level of ruggedness yet?

To be fair, I had an AR with a T-1 on it fall out of my safe and land right on the top of the RDS (figures, could have fallen 10 different ways but noooo). When I went to re-check the zero I was off by 6 inches at 50 yards! Yeah, nothing is perfect.
    What mount was the T-1 sitting on? That seems very odd.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    T-1s were known for some vulnerability for drops on the top, hence the reinforced metal top on the T-2.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    • Obsolescent for Vatican police? For mall security? For video games? Don't you think "obsolete" is a gross exaggeration? It is excellent optic in 1.5 ACSS configuration or 3.5 or 4.0 configuration for specific purposes.
    I chose my words very carefully. Obsolesce is not obsolete

"Obsolescence is the state of being which occurs when an object, service, or practice is no longer wanted even though it may still be in good working order. Obsolescence frequently occurs because a replacement has become available that has, in sum, more advantages compared to the disadvantages incurred by maintaining or repairing the original. Obsolete refers to something that is already disused or discarded, or antiquated.[1] Typically, obsolescence is preceded by a gradual decline in popularity."
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-23-18 at 18:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    An American Defense mount.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I revisited the LVPO yesterday, and I officially hate it. I was on the fence until I gave it a whirl in the context of this thread. I don't know if these things come FFP, but the scope I tried shrinks the reticle down so far when dialed down, it's worthless for speed. You basically have a ghost ring with some lint in the middle of your sight picture.

At distance, it's a decent scope. But dialed down, it's a gargantuan ghost ring.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

What is the fascination with a LPVO on an AR?

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I revisited the LVPO yesterday, and I officially hate it. I was on the fence until I gave it a whirl in the context of this thread. I don't know if these things come FFP, but the scope I tried shrinks the reticle down so far when dialed down, it's worthless for speed. You basically have a ghost ring with some lint in the middle of your sight picture.

At distance, it's a decent scope. But dialed down, it's a gargantuan ghost ring.
    Not all are like that. The Vortex Razor HD is SFP and keeps a nice MOA dot at 1x. The reticle is in the second focal plane and can be seen at any power. At this point, IMO, it is the best.

ETA: FFP is stupid for anything under 10x.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

If you want something geared for close-range with extended capability, look at something with a bright red-dot. There are a few options out there now.
    What you described was my complaint with the pst1-4. It wasnt bright enough to be fast, and the reticle didnt make sense on a 1-4 IMO. Ymmv.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    If you want something geared for close-range with extended capability, look at something with a bright red-dot. There are a few options out there now.
    What you described was my complaint with the pst1-4. It wasnt bright enough to be fast, and the reticle didnt make sense on a 1-4 IMO. Ymmv.
    We don't run the scope for close up at all, so there's nothing wrong it in its current use. I just gave it a try to see if it was practical for close up stuff.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast