Thread: Rust under front A2 sight?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Rust under front A2 sight?

Hi all
    I check my guns in my safe anytime I don’t go shooting for a bit and since it’s been about a month I wanted to inspect all my guns. It seems that only my LE6920 might have some rust forming under the A2 sight. All my other rifles and handguns are spotless and my safe has 3 dehumidifiers running with humidity ranging 35%-40%. The colt is my oldest AR and I’ve shot it the most. Is that rust? Some gas come off from a remoil wipe and I plan to scrub it out. Am I overreacting? Thanks.

E07CFB48-3EF5-41ED-B601-A386CF3184C1.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is it only a discoloration or can you observe / feel any texture, such as, dragging a soft Q-tip across and it catching a fiber?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Colts are parked under the FSB, so it "shouldn't" be rust. I've had old Bushmasters get surface rust under the FSB due to parking after the FSB is pinned.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The red schmootz you're seeing is more than likely old preservative.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Had the time to today so I sprayed some solvent on the barrel and did light scrubbing with a nylon brush and it cAme right out. I feel like if it was rust it wouldn’t have come out so easy. I could be wrong though.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My LMT upper does the same thing, looks like rust in color but cleans off without issue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just find it odd it only happens to my Colt and not my BCM or Spikes. This is now the second time in 6 years I’ve cleaned it off.

Feedback Score
    Have you used any lube with a red tint in it? If so, maybe it just puddled up causing you to notice it.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.