Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 14.5 Inch Barrel with pinned and welded flash hider?

Feedback Score

14.5 Inch Barrel with pinned and welded flash hider?

Is having a pinned and welded flash hider an extravagant price to pay for a 14.5 inch barrel when you can have an AR 15 pistol with a brace?

Feedback Score
    Just got with a 16” mid-length and an A2 vs an extended flash hider. It’ll give you versatility should you want to change components.

The 3/4” shorter length of a 14.5” won’t gain you anything. Don’t believe me, ask your girlfriend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    Is having a pinned and welded flash hider an extravagant price to pay for a 14.5 inch barrel when you can have an AR 15 pistol with a brace?
    It has a niche. If you have no need to change gas blocks/barrel nuts, etc., it can work for an individual. Not sure what you mean by "extravagant price". They only heavy price is if you need to do something that requires removal of the muzzle device.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The only reason to pin & weld a 14.5" barrel to 16" is to install it on a rifle lower. If it will only be installed on a pistol or SBR lower, there is no reason at all.

To me, there is a subtle difference in handling between a 16" barrel and a pinned 14.5. I prefer the handling of the 14.5 and consider the pinned muzzle device to be only a minor nuisance.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have NEVER been a fan of the 14.5 P&W. I always figured 16” was so much easier to deal with while building, could change it out easier, all the hassle for literally 1.5”. WELL.....then I started playing with the Noveske Afghan. The 14.5 really does handle better. Is it life altering? No, but it is a small amount of difference that is really noticeable. There’s only one other place that I can think of where 1.5” would make such a difference.
    It’s lighter, quicker to handle, drives target to target awesome. I’m a big fan, and I admit, a convert. The weight isn’t JUST barrel either. On a 16” gun I run a 15” Geiselle rail. On a 14.5, I can run a 13” and get the same look, and feel. So, you’re saving weight on barrels, and on rails. Both can get heavy, and the weight is in the absolute worst place, right out on the end. Also, a great place to save it. Makes the gun more “lively” going target to target.

For ME, I’m now all about the 14.5 with mid length gas. I have run the HECK out of my Noveske. It won’t be going anywhere.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    People who complain about a P&W job spend too much time ‘building’ and ‘changing’ and ‘going in different directions’, instead of on the range with ammo, targets, and the smell of gunpowder.

And while the ‘pistol brace’ thing is very nice for administrative purposes (having a loaded pistol instead of rifle, or crossing state lines with an SBR length upper), for extended shooting there is no comparison between a legitimite stock vs a ‘brace’.

In the end decide what you want to do and carry on.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    .....then I started playing with the Noveske Afghan. The 14.5 really does handle better. Is it life altering? No, but it is a small amount of difference that is really noticeable.
    This! Once you're used to running 14.5", 16" feels unwieldy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I own both and I can’t really tell much difference. It doesn’t show up on the timer.

Who says you need a 15” rail to add weight to a 16”? 13” rails fit 16” guns just fine.

It’s just a rifle. Spend your time and brainpower shooting and becoming more efficient with a rifle in your hand. I can promise, if you’re competent or won’t matter which you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    I own both and I can’t really tell much difference. It doesn’t show up on the timer.

Who says you need a 15” rail to add weight to a 16”? 13” rails fit 16” guns just fine.

It’s just a rifle. Spend your time and brainpower shooting and becoming more efficient with a rifle in your hand. I can promise, if you’re competent or won’t matter which you choose.
    That may be so. I don't feel I shoot any better with a 14.5" compared to a 16", but I like shooting the 14.5" better and that's enough for me!
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't look at a pinned barrel as a problem, but then again, it isn't like I only have one URG either.

If a buyer knows what they want, there are zero issues. If the buyer is uninformed, that is hardly the fault of an inanimate object.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast