Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 14.5 Inch Barrel with pinned and welded flash hider?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I don't look at a pinned barrel as a problem, but then again, it isn't like I only have one URG either.

If a buyer knows what they want, there are zero issues. If the buyer is uninformed, that is hardly the fault of an inanimate object.
    Listen to this man, he is wise, experienced, and a phenomenal photographer!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    There are very few real reason for this. Compared side by side, the "advantage" is miniscule. There is an associated cost of the pin and weld and the slight upcharge to the muzzle device.

Of course, it becomes a problem should you need or want to make changes to rails, etc..

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I used to think the 14.5 was best, until my Noveske started having issues. I just bought my first 16 and swapped the muzzle device in a few minutes with a vice, bev block, and armorers wrench. Don’t pin unless you really have to.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I’m one of those people who like to put stuff together (not so much take apart) but don’t shoot enough. So take that as a caveat.

Currently, I’m putting together a 14.5” Colt SOCOM barreled upper. But no pin/weld, because I’ll drop it on my go-to SBR lower.
    When it’s all together, I’ll see, but based on feel right now, the 14.5” doesn’t seem any more unwieldy (maybe even better) than the BCM Kino that I use most frequently, and perhaps a little less light and “flippy” compared to the Colt CCU. But, I’m expecting a little more accuracy potential from the SOCOM than the CCU.

TL/DR: Just have an SBR lower handy.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    Is having a pinned and welded flash hider an extravagant price to pay for a 14.5 inch barrel when you can have an AR 15 pistol with a brace?
    What do you plan on doing with the rifle and are you intending to use a shorter barrel on the pistol brace? Or is the brace an attempt to circumvent the pinning process?

I have a few 14.5’s. My latest is a Noveske Afghan and man do I love that thing! Like many things AR related, it is all about preference. Guys who tell you to just get a 16” and continue to march just aren’t enlightened. Pinning cost me as much as a case of Love Street Kolsch. So that’s a moot point to me. Plus doing it yourself isn’t as hard as you may think. You don’t need an arc welder or even an acetylene setup. You do need to understand what the law requires .
    So go for it. (The 14.5 in general) However, before you do, please do your due diligence on muzzle device selection. Will you run a can now or in the future? Do you shoot at a fairly crowded public range or shoot with buddies? What’s your priority? Flash suppression? Minimizing barrel rise? Think about those things before you buy the MD. I pinned a Lantac Dragon and haven’t once considered swapping it. Another has an AAC muzzle device that works with my cans.
    Personally I would not put a brace on a 14.5. If you invest in a good barrel, you can build a fine shooting rifle that is both accurate and also give you a sense of handling a shorter AR. That’s how it is for me.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Muzzle device is the deciding factor for me.

If its 16” w/a2 vs 14.5 with extended device, not worth it IMO.
    If you are using a supressor that takes an extended muzzle device, go for it.
    Ive had my pinned 14.5 for 7 years and never thought about changing anything. Ill use it until the barrel is shot out then look at upgrades.

If you like to swap stuff out constantly or are afraid of commitment, dont do it.

Feedback Score
    When I did a lightweight pencil profile build years ago I went with a mid length 14.5” pinned/welded A2.

Wasn’t worried about overall length just wanted to save some weight.

I messed around with a few different muzzle devices on my first 16” upper which was WAY overgassed but wasn’t happy til I did the lightweight middy that was gassed correctly, so an A2 is all it needs.

But after building a few AR pistols with Shockwave & SB braces I’d probably just do a 12” upper with an SBA3.

On the plus side, I do like the fit of my Magpul STR stock w/Limbsaver pad.
    Last edited by wanderson; 10-01-18 at 19:44. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think an over looked consideration is that it is not difficult to change the rail on a pin and welded upper, it’s hard to change the barrel nut.

If you pick a barrel nut like a BCM or Geisele you have many different choices in rail length and attachment method that you could swap with ease. You are just married to that family of rails. I have a pinned uppper that started with a Daniel defense ris 2 that I swapped to a lite 2 of another build.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Grant had some SOCOM 14.5 P&W a few months ago. I bought two and will give them to my kids, on SOCOM lowers, at the right age.

Mostly for cosmetics but also because they're good barrels.
    Last edited by Caduceus; 10-01-18 at 21:12.

Feedback Score
    Pin and weld for me is a workshop job. Takes little time and I enjoy doing things myself.
    16" carbines with bayonet mounts look ridicules. Carbines scream for 14.5 SOCOMS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast