Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Noob question: Colt SP1 and old age factor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Cannot comprehend...Guns are meant to be shot. Unless your gun belongs in museum somewhere because they only made like 10 of them, there is no reason to not shoot it. Everything on an SP1 you can find replacement parts for while still maintaining the original look and feel of the gun.
    What about all the collectors out there who never fire what they have? That is the difference between collectors and shooters. Guys like myself are a bit of both. We have collector firearms and we have others for shooting and enjoying. Nothing wrong with that at all. If I want to shoot an old school AR, I will drag out one of my retros.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    What about all the collectors out there who never fire what they have? That is the difference between collectors and shooters. Guys like myself are a bit of both. We have collector firearms and we have others for shooting and enjoying. Nothing wrong with that at all. If I want to shoot an old school AR, I will drag out one of my retros.

Not to detract from anything, but can I have one of your retros?? Particularly the 5th one in from the right, thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would go A4, primarily for the flexibility of the 1913 upper. You can always stick a Brownells Type D on it if your arms aren't on the longish side.

SP1, my only real concern would be cracking the forearm and would possibly swap to Brownells reproduction at the start.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Not to detract from anything, but can I have one of your retros?? Particularly the 5th one in from the right, thanks!
    I know a lot of guys that would love to have any one of my retros.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    I remember getting my SP1 in 1985. A police armorer had traded it in for a new A2 version. I paid $450 for it. I did swap out the bird cage flash suppressor for a three pronged version and the front screw pivot pin for a quick detachable one. I still have the original parts to restore it to its original factory condition. A very accurate nice shooting rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Once again my sincere thanks to all who replied, you’ve helped me clarify this subject, immensely.

I really appreciate the membership here on M4carbine.net. Good folks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I built a 603 clone (sort of, I used a modern profile lower) with some of those kits that came back from SE Asia somewhere a few years ago. It is all original Colt except for the barrel and lower. I swapped the trigger out for a SSA.

It is a very light rifle for a 20", and I enjoy it, but I wouldn't suggest one to someone as a primary shooter rifle. Unless that person was dead set on only using iron sights. And even then I would try to talk them into the advantages offered by modern optics.

I like mine but it doesn't get shot very much.

Last edited by IndianaBoy; 10-14-18 at 08:13. Reason: added info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123