Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Wife Has Cancer

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sorry to hear this dude. But from what I know of you, and how you describe her, she';; hopefully pull through this. Cancer sucks, as we all know. Something I fear hearing about all the time.

My dad was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer that has spread to the bones. He'll be 83 next month. They have a plan of action, and think he'll do OK with it for a few years. Still in shock about it (me). At least he has lived a good life and is still living a good life. Your wife is much too young for this (not that any age is appropriate).

Thoughts and prayers coming your (both of you and your family's) way.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Sorry to hear this. You and your wife are in our prayers. My wife is an 8year bc survivor, she got literal chills reading about the red devil. She remembers it well and wrote a poem about it. All the time through her chemo and radiation she was an incredibly optimistic person, even when one of the chemo treatments put her in anaphiloctic shock. She never wore a wig, she rock her baldness and talked to anyone she could about what she was going through. Her incredible faith in God enabled her to help others while she was going through her treatment.
    If your wife wants to talk with someone who went through what she is going through, pm me and we can exchange info.

Feedback Score
    prayers and thoughts

Feedback Score
    Sorry to hear this.

My mother was diagnosed with this at 64 (last year). They caught it early, stage 0. They cut it out, treated it with radiation and chemo.

Recovery is still going and it's been a difficult road but she's making it.

Be her rock and support. She's going to need it.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAUSER202 View Post
    Sorry to hear this. You and your wife are in our prayers. My wife is an 8year bc survivor, she got literal chills reading about the red devil. She remembers it well and wrote a poem about it. All the time through her chemo and radiation she was an incredibly optimistic person, even when one of the chemo treatments put her in anaphiloctic shock. She never wore a wig, she rock her baldness and talked to anyone she could about what she was going through. Her incredible faith in God enabled her to help others while she was going through her treatment.
    If your wife wants to talk with someone who went through what she is going through, pm me and we can exchange info.

The color of that stuff is really unforgettable and the nurses have to gown up in ppe which was unsettling at first. Definetly a survivors club of sorts just from that alone. I’ll never forget the color draining out of her complexion even before the infusion was done. On her last treatment of AC I gave her a kiss when we got home and I immediately had the worst chemical taste in my mouth which lasted for a while. Just from a quick kiss. She said the stuff was like swimming in windex.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Sorry to hear, best of luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Just saw this one. Praying for you and yours.

Feedback Score
    Prayers for you and yours. Those self-exams are very important for sure, and I admit I am not consistent with them. Thank you for sharing. I hope it encourages husbands to have conversations with their wives about the importance of doing the self-exams.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Thanks again!

She started Taxol 4 weeks ago and had an appointment with the oncologist last Friday. Yesterday afternoon the office called and said they were switching her to Taxotere due to neuropathy concerns. She’s had a mild numbness in her left fingertips.

We looked into Taxotere and it has 3-6% permanent hair loss rates in a couple studies and a UK study had 15% in their study group never regrow hair. She freaked out and basically told them she wasn’t switching and we’d monitor the neuropathy. Oncologist said ok to that this morning so she did round 4/12 of Taxol today while holding a cold pack in each hand. The cold restricts blood flow so the chemo doesn’t get as much ‘access’ to the nerves in her fingers during infusions.

We are a bit upset these doctors just switch stuff up and don’t discuss side effects short and long term with patients. She’s on some support groups and it’s a common theme. Lots of people have been put on Taxotere and the permanent hair loss possibility is rarely brought up. There’s also a risk of that chemo type causing thin/stringy hair if it does come back, missing eyebrows/eyelashes, etc. The company that produces Taxotere also got in trouble with the FDA for claiming it was more effective than other chemo types which is not true. I’m glad she chose to say ‘No!’ to that stuff.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The whole thing sucks, it hits very close to home. I hope she tolerates her treatment best they can. Its kinda hard to discuss side effects because they ALL have so fkn many that it SUCKS. Good thing is survivor rates are at an all time high and cosmetic surgery is amazing. All the best brother.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast