Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Precision Rifle

Feedback Score

Ruger Precision Rifle

Evidently this rifle is up to it's "Gen 3" iteration, although I'm not sure if there were any substantial changes made. Anyone have any positive or negative feedback on this particular rifle?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Evidently this rifle is up to it's "Gen 3" iteration, although I'm not sure if there were any substantial changes made. Anyone have any positive or negative feedback on this particular rifle?
    The "Gen 3" just switched the handguard from Keymod to M-lok, added an ambi safety, and changed the finish on the bolt to black nitride.

I have a Gen 2 6.5 Creedmoor that is getting close to 1500 rounds. It's shooter and groups well with Hornady and Federal factory match ammo (particulary the Federal Gold Medal loaded with 130g Berger Hybrids). For handloads I've settled on a load using 130gr ELDs (it shoots 140s just fine as well). I will eventually have the firing pin hole bushed by a gunsmith as it's pretty large from the factory and so the rifle will slightly crater primers on even factory loaded ammo. Another complaint is that the bolt throw leaves a lot to be desired as it is rough and relatively heavy (though lighter than most factory Savage rifles I've shot, and the ruger has no issues with the bolt binding up). The trigger is good for the money (though not in the same league as high quality Remington 700 pattern triggers) and mine was set to break at 1 1/2 lbs from the factory so I left it alone and haven't adjusted it. It has also smoothed up some with use.

I shoot steel out to approx 800 yards fairly often and have used the rifle in 2 PRS matches. It's been 100% reliable in every range trip, practice session, and match I've used it in, with zero issues in feeding, extraction, or ejection. The gun is a little tail heavy for a PRS match gun, enough so that it won't reliably balance on a barricade unless I have a bipod all the way out on the forearm. A new, longer barrel might fix that, but Ruger's barrel nut system limits barrel profile options so it would probably only be a slight improvement.

The gun is really soft shooting, partly because of the brake and weight (mine is 15lbs with scope and bipod) and partly because of the bore axis being inline with the buttstock, like an AR. I've no problem spotting impacts on steel, even at 150-200 yards off of a barricade or other odd shooting position.

Other things to be aware of would be that you can't really single feed with an AR10 mag in the gun (but it's no problem with AI pattern mags), and if you plan to shoot the rifle off of barricades you will probably want to replace the handguard with the flat bottomed Seekins. I found the rifle really wanted to roll to the left when running the bolt on a barricade, adding the Seekins rail fixed that.

There's quite a bit more competition to the RPR now than when I bought my rifle, but or the prices RPRs have been selling for online lately I think they are a still a solid deal.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 09-22-18 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    One of my close shooting Buddies bought one of these and he makes hits at 1360 all day long with 50% hits. I think its a crazy value for the dollar considering BUDS have them for $899 or some craziness. Even for $1,299 they are a value. IMHO. He bought an earlier one for grins and the rail was cocked so he changed the rail and thats it.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-22-18 at 21:42.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If you take a file or razor knife and bevel the rear edge of the follower, you can single feed. You don't need to remove much.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    If you take a file or razor knife and bevel the rear edge of the follower, you can single feed. You don't need to remove much.
    You're absolutely right, I had forgotten about that. I switched over to AICS mags because I have a few other guns that use them and haven't really bothered with Pmags.

Feedback Score
    I had a first gen RPR in 6.5CM, sold it off when I moved to fund a different project. I did put a Criterion Heavy Target barrel on it. I loved that it took SR25 type Pmags. I hated the original Samson (and current) round hand-guards up front. I am of the belief a PRS gun should have a flat bottom rail for bag and barricade use. I thought the bolt was a little gritty at first but after about 1000 rounds it and the trigger got smoother.

I was going to build off of a Defiance action and put a custom gun together, but for about a grand for a new RPR, plus the Seekins rail and a Magpul PRS stock I have a hard time dropping that kind of coin on a hobby gun right now. I will likely have the bolt Cerakoted as they still seem to be pretty rough from the factory and another Criterion barrel put on with a suppressor comparable brake.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So here it is at CDNN, what gives with this "Hybrid Rifle. What am I getting? Not getting? See excerpt from their website.

RUGER® PRECISION RIFLE 308 HYBRID MB GEN 2 firearm

INCLUDES SLING & SCOPE RINGS
    Manufacturer: RUGER®
    Model: PRECISION RIFLE
    MPN: 18004
    Caliber: 308 WIN
    Capacity: 10
    SKU: RUG18004
    UPC: 736676180042
    In Stock
    Regular Price: $1,599.99

Special Sale: $899.99 ADD TO CART
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I believe “Hybrid MB” = “muzzle brake.”

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Well, I bought one of these inexpensive SOB's. I went with trusty 308. I going to top it off with a Vortex viper PST. Sub $2k set up. It should be interesting.

PB

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Well, I bought one of these inexpensive SOB's. I went with trusty 308. I going to top it off with a Vortex viper PST. Sub $2k set up. It should be interesting.

PB
    That will be a good shooter. Brother in law has that exact setup. He had never shot anything over 100 and was banging steel at 700 the first day we went to shoot it. Great setup for the money.
    Philippians 4:13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast