Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: New Glock G45

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you had any issues with the front serrations getting hung up on the Safariland ALS system?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by asquared View Post
    Have you had any issues with the front serrations getting hung up on the Safariland ALS system?
    I have had no issues with my ALS and G45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A few of our guys have reported issues with the front serrations dragging on the ALS holsters and some 19's and 17 with them.

The fix we use is to add a few pieces of velcro, the soft side to the ALS lock. It keep the slide just far enough away from the locking lugs to prevent hanging up. We have had no reported issues with the fix.

place a small piece of the velcro on this area.

TXPO
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Front serrations grind on the ALS mechanism causing wear. A fix is in progress or available, I haven't kept track.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't call it a problem but things were a little snug on the 7360 but after about 50 draws things smoothed out and it's been smooth as glass.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    What grip plug and which holster model #

Thanks
    It was a Pearce Gen 5 plug I picked up at my LGS.

The holster is one of the newer Safariland 7377 ATS models. It was meant for a G17, but the G45 fits and locks fine.

I haven't had issues with it hanging up on the front serrations, not sure if that's due to it being a G17 holster or a newer holster design.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Dang. I was hoping for a rotating barrel.
    No, But it does use Glock Magazines

I just couldn't help myself.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Operate the slide aggressively, in a manner consistent with the guns cycle of operation during live fire.
    The issue is variable in severity and frequency from gun to gun and round to round depending on how the extracting brass shifts on the way out. The circumstances in which you may need to overcome it vary as well, including having wet, lubriciously contaminated, or dusty hands or an aforementioned injury, weakness, or occupation of your support hand.

The direct mechanical cause of this issue is the rim of the extracting brass stopping against the case mouth of the top round in the magazine. In Glocks without what I call the "Brass Control Cut," the issue appears to result from tolerance stacking among interactive surfaces of the barrel, slide, locking block, and potentially frame, which determine how far the rear of the barrel drops when unlocked, in combination with how far the feed lug depresses the top round of the mag before retracting behind that round. The shorter barrel of the G26 would seem to accentuate the issue as the shorter barrel length creates a slightly steeper unlocked barrel angle and thus a lower extent of the extracting rim to encourage loss of extractor control in the Glock's already marginal system who's extractor claw angle already encourages the brass to slip down. Furthermore, it's reasonable to conclude that even spent brass is more likely to experience this impingement during live extraction which can contribute to BTF instances of the straight-back-over-the-slide variety. The nick in the right lense of my shooting glasses dead center to my pupil reminds me why straight-back BTF is a problem on a CCW likely to be used in low light or indoors. That nick was from a Gen 3 G19, without this lockup issue, before an Apex FRE and stronger plunger spring were installed, so I can't assume it was the same cause, but the obvious mechanics suggest a pistol with the one issue would be more prone to that form of BTF.

I have a Gen4 G26 which exhibits this behavior and locks up HARD, often for around half or more of a magazine during dry extraction of live rounds. I was no slouch in the grip strength department, due to my job, at the time of investigating this issue, and as often as not my (dry and clean) hand would slip off the slide if using remotely typical grip force or, if death-gripping it, simply stop when this impingement occured until I literally beat the brass surfaces into visible submission with further attempts. I tried various name brand ammo and several Glock mags without success.

Glock took the gun back to investigate twice, claimed it worked fine and the issue was not reproducible, and that the issue as reported is not considered a defect as there should be no reason to manually eject a live round with the magazine in. My suggestion of Tap-Racks for FTFires was met simply with a repetition of the stance that it's not a defect. I was finally told my gun was in-spec, that they wouldn't investigate swapping major parts to improve the issue, and that was the end of it for them.

I got curious and found a rental Gen 5 G26 at a range and found it exhibited the same behavior to what I'd say was about 80% of my Gen4's severity. I do not know if it had a brass control cut as I didn't know to look for it on Glocks at the time.

I doubt anyone would argue against training Tap-Rack drills to clear FTFires due to duds or debris, and yet that broad and consistent capability to perform a Tap-Rack on a live round easily is not considered important by Glock.

With the addition if this brass control cut, per preceding accounts, it appears they set the centerpoint of the cut low enough to actually encourage the issue rather than bias it high enough to prevent it. The latter should be possible considering plenty of Glocks don't tend to exhibit the behavior without encouragement with fingers or shaking to cause the round to settle lower than inclined.

As I desperately want a fully functional G26 to replace my lower capacity and less shootable current EDC G43 (which has been utterly reliable for approaching 10k rounds), I guess I'll begin the hunt for perhaps a Gen 3 in hopes it's less prone, or simply a sample of any gen which manually cycles smoothly, but getting to "try before you buy" isn't so simple.

Finally, I'm curious if anyone has found Glocks with this brass control cut to be more inclined to stick out of battery if pushed out by the muzzle end with a round chambered, especially with the friction of a full mag to contribute. I know such a cut was a major factor in this notorious tendency with the Springfield XDS, so I'm curious if the unlocked alignment of the cut encourages the brass to stick the barrel at the unlocked elevation?

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    I added a G45 MOS, and like it a lot. My first red dot pistol:

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I added a G45 MOS, and like it a lot. My first red dot pistol:

I'm using the APEX trigger and trigger bar with the factory connector.

Can't stand the finger pinch on OEM trigger shoe.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920