Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle dip

Feedback Score

Muzzle dip

Im running a g19 gen 4. I recently switched to a 15lb action spring for reliability reasons and it noticably reduced muzzle dip. However, I still have some. At 7yards on a 3x5 set verically, .3 sec splits are as fast as I can see the sight settle on target and get hits. .25 will miss low(all but first shot). .2 sec splits, say 4-5 shots will be good elevation wise (might miss to the side- Ill get 2-3 hits in 5 shots.

I know grip will help side to side misses, but is there a way to manage muzzle dip? Im at a loss and at this point seems like sonething I just have to live with. Thoughts? Just shoot faster and work on grip?

Edit- the muzzle dip is minimal, but enough to miss the 3x5 at 7yds. Even my hits are on the bottom edge at .25 ish splits, other than first shot.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-24-18 at 06:43.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Is it muzzle dip from return to battery or over-gripping/flinching ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Is it muzzle dip from return to battery or over-gripping/flinching ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Return to battery. Gun oscillates a little. I videotaped myself in high speed and at .2splits, it dips, comes back up when I pull the trigger. At about .25 the muzzle dips a little again. Not much, but enough to push it off a 3x5 ( maybe an a-zone as well?) at 7 yards. I can post a vid if it helps. If I wait to .3s after the shot, the muzzle comes back up to rest on target. I can see all this happening within the rmr window as well.

I tried aiming high and missed everything, so shooting faster seems to work better, but it was 2 strings in one range trip, so looking for other’s opinions/explanation how they dealt with it.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    "At 7 yards on a 3x5 set vertically, .3 sec splits are as fast as I can see the sight settle on target and get hits."- This sounds like a "controlling recoil" issue, not a "going (back) into battery" issue.
    A grip problem.
    Support hand requires big grip. Shooting hand is best with a death grip on small and ring finger. Trigger finger is moderately relaxed- performing fine motor skill of pressing trigger.

If you've watched an accomplished shooter in action you'll note the forearm muscles look like knotted ropes. This is due to a BIG grip on the pistol.

Splits of sub .2 should be fairly easily obtainable. I'm 66, an over the hill competitive shooter and still mange controlled splits of .16, granted with a 1911.
    I suppose in the "real world" a diff of .04 seconds is a non issue however.
    Last edited by gaijin; 09-24-18 at 10:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    "At 7 yards on a 3x5 set vertically, .3 sec splits are as fast as I can see the sight settle on target and get hits."- This sounds like a "controlling recoil" issue, not a "going (back) into battery" issue.
    A grip problem.
    Support hand requires big grip. Shooting hand is best with a death grip on small and ring finger. Trigger finger is moderately relaxed- performing fine motor skill of pressing trigger.

If you've watched an accomplished shooter in action you'll note the forearm muscles look like knotted ropes. This is due to a BIG grip on the pistol.

Splits of sub .2 should be fairly easily obtainable. I'm 66, an over the hill competitive shooter and still mange controlled splits of .16, granted with a 1911.
    I suppose in the "real world" a diff of .04 seconds is a non issue however.
    Sights come back to the target faster than I can pull the trigger (.1s)
    In sequence:

Shoot -0:00
    Slide back - ~0.05
    Slide forward, then sight on target~0.08-0.15
    Dot dips below target ~0.18 (about an inch or two)
    Dot comes to target 0.2
    Dot dips back down .25
    Dot comes back to target and stays 0.3

Its almost like its oscillating off the web of my thumb?
    Are you saying a more rigid grip will prevent that? I guess if I have a stiffer hold and relax/bend elbows more, that would make sense. Im definately gripping hard, but might need to work out the forarms more.

Edit- here is video the above estimated times are from: roughly .2 sec splits with .16 sec last shot. The second shot was a little slower and you can see the second dip Im talking about.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyvmva7s3l...20PM.mov?raw=1
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-24-18 at 12:53.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’d call that a recoil management issue after seeing the video. I think the muzzle flip needs to be controlled better and that will reduce the muzzle dip as a result. The whole thing is moving both directions and moving multiple times. It’s wobbly during recoil.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Alright, thanks for the input guys. Still open to other comments, but started working grip this afternoon.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Watched your vid on a larger screen.

While just head, arms and portion of upper torso are visible, these are my observations based on limited visual data:

Your hand(s) position look fine.
    You appear to be craning your neck forward in an exaggerated position- try a bit more head upright.
    From what I can see- you appear to have an aggressive, weight forward stance (think martial arts stance- shooting is the 'merican martial art)- that is good.
    Try a "bigger", stronger grip. CONTROL, or drive the gun.
    FWIW: I've shot handguns for 35+ yrs (pretty well) and STILL remind myself to "grip the effing gun" when I shoot. It's common to become consumed with "sight picture/trigger control" and neglect other basics.

It would be helpful to shoot with someone with a larger base of (handgun) experience- to gain their insight as you're shooting.
    Hopefully you have a mentor/range bud that qualifies. I'm a fan of one on one instruction for quickest results.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, Im the best pistol shooter I personally know- may have just met someone a bit better at the range, and we are trying to meet up for matches, so Ill try to pick his brain.

Comparing the recoil vs GMs on line, I can see a lot more recoil (when I shoot). I puchased a bucket and sand to start working grip strength/endurance. Ill update when I see some progress.

Thanks again for the insight.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Watch this for tips you may be unaware of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aLzGZ9MHxI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast