Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muzzle dip

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I find it is better to film.observe from the other side when looking at grip. Do you by chance have any video from the other side?

I attended a class by Rob Vogel, World Class Pistol Skills and decided to begin using his grip and working out with grippers as he advocated.

First, let me caution you not to go too hot and heavy on grip exercises, I developed tendonitis and had to quit for a while, then resume much lower.

I was already doing some of what he advocates, but one thing that made a huge difference was thinking about the difference between what he calls 'monkey grip' and a pinch grip.

This is a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QhpvY9LZc

I think Vogel is a good teacher. Like most instructors running a one-man show I felt his class size was too large, but he made a concerted effort to give individual attention to each shooter.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Ok- Proctor’s advice about pinching at the back is good- never did that (or know to go foreward or back), so Ill experiment.

Vogels grip is noticably better, but inconsisntency(maybe above issue) caused intermittent failure to lock back.
    Also working on focusing on locking wrist (ring and pinky fingers tight) and general grip strength. Also noticed im not rotating elbows out (used to, dont know why I stopped?) Thanks a lot, guys.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-25-18 at 19:54.

Feedback Score
    Alright, new video from the left side(camera look up slightly).
    Went for “big” grip, especially with support hand, and rolled elbows out/top of hands squeezing in.
    Forgot to “lock” ring and small fingers, but I still think its an improvement. Agree or is there still a lot of room for improvement?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3iiqevhd2...20PM.mov?raw=1
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-01-18 at 07:10.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’m still seeing a lot of bounce. The round is fired and the gun recoils then it dips low then back above the line and back on target. Admittedly video replay is new for me but all that movement seems like a lot.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Well, there’s always room for improvement, for all of us.

The gun appears more stable and looks to return to the same, neutral point after slide cycles.
    Proof’s in the pudding; were your hits better?
    Try the ring/little finger pinch as well.
    Your form looks better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Well, there’s always room for improvement, for all of us.

The gun appears more stable and looks to return to the same, neutral point after slide cycles.
    Proof’s in the pudding; were your hits better?
    Try the ring/little finger pinch as well.
    Your form looks better.
    Not a direct comparison as this was more like .3-.4 splits at 25yds, but I didnt see the dip I was seeing before (watching the dot)
    I feel like Im heading in the right direction now.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-01-18 at 07:11.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    FWIW; I've shot pistols/"Three Gun" for 35 years, was ranked "High Master" in Action Pistol/Bianchi Cup and "Master" USPSA- in the pre "Grand Master" days.
    Although it has been years since I've formally shot competitively, I shoot regularly and do one on one tutorials- selectively. I am still a competent shooter.

The point? I STILL need to mentally rehearse the basics I tend to be weak in- before I shoot; "BIG" grip (control the gun), sight picture, trigger control, watch the effing reload IN the gun, etc...

The art of shooting is more a journey than a destination.
    We all have goals we'd like to achieve; surviving a gunfight, placing first in a sectional, being a competent 1K yd. shooter- whatever. Goals are great motivators.
    For me, this about steady improvement. I have yet to see anyone attain perfection.

Find a mentor/sensei. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Keep working, enjoy the journey.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The art of shooting is more a journey than a destination.
    Very true; and if it's a destination, you don't get to stay there for free if you get there. I've found shooting to be very much like any other sport (like weight training), where you might obtain a certain level of proficiency (or strength) at a certain point in time, but need to work to maintain it.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Very true; and if it's a destination, you don't get to stay there for free if you get there. I've found shooting to be very much like any other sport (like weight training), where you might obtain a certain level of proficiency (or strength) at a certain point in time, but need to work to maintain it.
    Most certainly. Shooting, to ones full potential, is a perishable skill.
    Last edited by gaijin; 09-29-18 at 16:51.

Feedback Score
    Most certainly. Shooting, to ones full potential, is a perishable skill.
    ...and your full potential can always become your sub-par performance.

Im not looking to get complacent, I focus on whatever my weak point is, and Ive IDed grip as a current one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12