Thread: Is it common for short-barreled revolvers to "carry better" carried appendix?

Feedback Score

Is it common for short-barreled revolvers to "carry better" carried appendix?

As opposed to behind the hip?

It's just something I've always noticed when carrying a revolver. In front of the hip ISWB seems to be more comfortable than behind the hip ISWB.

Common? A pistol always feels better behind my hip.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-24-18 at 22:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    As opposed to behind the hip?

It's just something I've always notices when carrying a revolver. In front of the hip ISWB seems to be more comfortable than behind the hip ISWB

Common?
    It is so variable on how I carry my revolvers. IWB 3:00, Appendix or in the front pocket.

Comfort is personal as it can be dependent upon clothing and the type of holster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My 340m&p with a titanium cylinder in a darkstar gear appendix holster is stupid easy to carry.

Feedback Score
    I ask because I got a nice ISWB holster for my 3 inch GP100 from Falco. I expected it to work best behind my hip like my pistols but it seems to be more comfortable in front at 2:00-2:30.

Conceal-ability is a little better behind the hip, though. In the front is makes a bit of a bulge (with a cover shirt) It will not conceal with just a T-shirt.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I'd rather have the cylinder pressing on my abdomen than my sciatic nerve.
    In my case my paunch precludes AIWB carry with revolvers. I carry 3 oclock OWB.

Feedback Score
    After carrying around the GP100 a bit I'm pleasantly surprised how comfortable it is. (Behind the hip) Seated in a car is just fine. (any gun carried behind the hip gets tiresome in a car after 45 min or so though)

Sure it's a little heavy (39 oz loaded) but somehow pretty comfortable. Perhaps it's the way the all-leather Falco holster distributes the weight?

I think it also has to do with the Ruger Compact GP100 grip. It's fairly narrow, curved, and smooth. The rubber outer parts will catch on an over shirt more than a polymer or all-wood grip but I was already aware of that.

The gun isn't going to be a daily carry piece but I want to get some time with it before taking it out in the woods/travelling. That is it's purpose. Also, the trigger is really good!
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-02-18 at 22:59.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rif4trbo View Post
    My 340m&p with a titanium cylinder in a darkstar gear appendix holster is stupid easy to carry.
    Excellent choice. DSG makes a really, really nice J-frame AIWB rig,

It's also reversible, which is very useful.

Feedback Score
    Yes.

I have carried a:

3" 686 (L frame)
    2 5/8" 657 (N frame, 41 mag)
    2 1/4" 649 (J frame)

As others have said, all that weight pushing on your sciatic nerve will start to cause discomfort, pain, or even long term issues. After years of carrying OWB at 4 O'clock, I can't do it anymore. After an hour my sciatic nerve is on fire and I have to ditch the gun or face back problems.

In addition to pushing on the nerve, a short barrel with heavy frame will cause the frame/grip of the gun to rotate out and away from the body, whereas a longer barreled gun, the barrel will stabilize the weight of the frame and keep the gun vertical. AIWB prevents this from happening, the gun seems to carry more snug to the body.

After I made the switch to AIWB, my life has changed completely. Even a big N frame carries much easier than it used to, no longer does the gun bite into my back when seated, and the snubby barrels don't bite into my junk. Anything more than a 3" gun would be pushing it for me AIWB, but all of the guns listed above carry like a dream AIWB vs traditional OWB 3-4 O'clock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SquarePizza View Post
    Yes.

I have carried a:

3" 686 (L frame)
    2 5/8" 657 (N frame, 41 mag)
    2 1/4" 649 (J frame)

As others have said, all that weight pushing on your sciatic nerve will start to cause discomfort, pain, or even long term issues. After years of carrying OWB at 4 O'clock, I can't do it anymore. After an hour my sciatic nerve is on fire and I have to ditch the gun or face back problems.

In addition to pushing on the nerve, a short barrel with heavy frame will cause the frame/grip of the gun to rotate out and away from the body, whereas a longer barreled gun, the barrel will stabilize the weight of the frame and keep the gun vertical. AIWB prevents this from happening, the gun seems to carry more snug to the body.

After I made the switch to AIWB, my life has changed completely. Even a big N frame carries much easier than it used to, no longer does the gun bite into my back when seated, and the snubby barrels don't bite into my junk. Anything more than a 3" gun would be pushing it for me AIWB, but all of the guns listed above carry like a dream AIWB vs traditional OWB 3-4 O'clock.
    Thanks.

While the Gp100 3 inch is more comfortable AIWB, it's less concealable. I'll see what I can do about that.

Feedback Score
    When I carry a short barrelled revolver its always AIWB.